Romany Surf RM For Sale - now sold

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
Ian Grey

Romany Surf RM For Sale - now sold

Post by Ian Grey »

I am selling my Romany Surf RM for £995. This ‘Plastic’ sea kayak is a great all round Sea Kayak. It can be used for general day to day Kayaking and rock hopping and surfing. I would suggest that it is not suitable for a kayaker with size 11 feet and above! Ideally the paddler needs to be between 5’5” and 6’1”. I am 6’1” and weigh about 13st. I have installed a Silva compass in the recess. The kayak can be viewed at my home on Hayling Island, Hampshire.

Sean_soup

Re: Romany Surf RM For Sale

Post by Sean_soup »

Surf? That's a Sportive isn't it? (The smaller of the two plastic versions of the Romany - the bigger one being the Sport.)
Ian Grey

Post by Ian Grey »

Hi Sean. I bought this from a friend in our Canoe Club as the Romany Surf. ( Portsmouth Canoe Club) I’ve looked on line at the Romany Sportive and it has the word ‘ Sportive’ on the side of the kayak. Hope that helps. As you can see from my photos my kayak does not have the word ‘Sportive’. Thanks. Ian
Jonny_W

Post by Jonny_W »

I think Romany S RM is an earlier name for what’s currently available from SKUK. I think their first Roto Moulded (RM) plastic boat was based upon the composite Romany Surf.

Now there are :-
Romany Surf : only in composite
Romany Sport : only in plastic (larger and easily sufficient for my size 11 booties)
Romany Sportive : only in plastic (smaller and not sure how much space for my booties).

Hope this helps.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

It sometimes think that if SKUK had used a less confusing naming scheme for the Romany Surf and its derivatives, they would have sold more! Similarly if Tiderace hadn't started all their model names with X.
Ian Grey

Post by Ian Grey »

Thanks for your comments. Ian.
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Jonny_W wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:21 pm
Now there are :-
Romany Surf : only in composite
Romany Sport : only in plastic (larger and easily sufficient for my size 11 booties)
Romany Sportive : only in plastic (smaller and not sure how much space for my booties).
That's my understanding. I have no idea whether the bigger plastic Romany was originally called a Surf RM, but it's definitely the Sport now. (Whether or not the name has changed, I think it's very unlikely that the rotomould has.) The stickers don't really tell you much, as they're just stickers and often change from boat to boat.

The larger one is supposedly a plastic version of the Surf, but I've tried one back to back with my Surf and it felt slightly bigger to me - higher, or perhaps the seat was lower, not sure. At the time I was thinking I might want one, but trying it changed my mind - everso slightly too big. I'll have to have a go in the smaller one at some point.

Anyway, Ian's boat looks like it's in very good nick and it's a fair price if so, but something that a potential buyer might well want to know before they travel to have a look at it is which of the two available sizes it is. I'm just going by the layout of the deck elastics, but I think it's the smaller of the two - a side view might confirm that as it has a noticeably lower front deck. It might help to measure the overall length from bow to stern and see whether it's 4.75m, or 4.89m or something else.

Specs are here:
https://www.seakayakinguk.com/sea-kayak ... many-sport
https://seakayakinguk.com/sea-kayak-ran ... portive-rm
(But note that the photos are identical - so incorrect in one case or the other. I think the boat pictured is a Sport.)
dogsbody

Post by dogsbody »

Interested pm sent
RickC

Post by RickC »

Hi All

I'm the Westcountry dealer for SKUK and can confirm that the kayak advertised is the earlier (pre-2017) version of the currently named Sport. So larger than the Sportive and a close cousin of the composite Surf.

Cheers, Rick C
British Sea Kayaks
Tricky Ricky

Post by Tricky Ricky »

For the earlier pre 2017 Surf RM , ideal if your a larger paddler. Not so ideal for the slimmer paddler. Just my 2c.
Ian Grey

Post by Ian Grey »

Thanks again for the last comments. I stand corrected.
Ian Grey

Post by Ian Grey »

This kayak is now SOLD.

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”