P&H which composite to choose

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
andycon

P&H which composite to choose

Post by andycon »

Anyone any experience with different P&H composite construction types. Lightweight Kevlar/Carbon Infusion is the most expensive so if money no object would be an option but is it as durable as the standard composite, Performance Kevlar / Diolen?
Interested in real world experience on durability. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Tricky Ricky

Re: P&H which composite to choose

Post by Tricky Ricky »

Not sure about p&h, but I was told by someone who knows that Kevlar is very hard to color match if a repair is needed. Feel free to disagree as I wouldn't know
Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Tricky Ricky wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:41 pm
Not sure about p&h, but I was told by someone who knows that Kevlar is very hard to color match if a repair is needed. Feel free to disagree as I wouldn't know

Kevlar with clear gel top coat would likely show up any repairs. Mine has a coloured top coat where colour is not impacted by the glass construction underneath. Internal repairs would be seen but that's the case for non kevlar too.
keith_w

Post by keith_w »

I have the kevlar diollen construction and I think if I orderd another boat I would opt for a more durable layup as I have managed to damage my boat. The repairs were done by P&H and you have look very hard to see where the repair is. The clear gel coat I have see on other peoples boats seems to show any scratches more than a coloured gel coat.
pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

In a conversation with Valley regarding the difference in weight between the Carbon / Kevlar equivalent Etain / Cetus I was put in my place with
"Valley don't build light boats - Valley build STRONG boats which will see you safe long after these lightweight things have smashed themselves to pieces on the first bit of coastline they meet..."
It made me less concerned about the extra Kg - I couldn't however possibly speculate on whetether it is factually correct or not. :-)
So much sea - so little time to see it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Kevlar/Diolen seems an odd combination to me, Diolen is normally substituted for Kevlar for a more affordable laminate. In which case, expect Kelvar/Diolen to have high tensile strength, but be a bit on the flexible side, whilst Carbon/Kevlar will be a bit stiffer and have similar tensile strength (because adding carbon doesn't weaken the Kevlar, it adds overall stiffness).
No experience with P&H boats, but my choice is generally between Carbon/Kevlar foam sandwich or all Carbon foam sandwich, and I always go for Carbon/Kevlar as the more more durable option.

Colour matching is a bit of a non-concern. if you get a boat with a coloured gel the underlying construction makes no difference to colour matching. If you go for clear gel, the gel and Kevlar laminate will tend to darken from yellow to brownish with age, so any repair is going to look lighter simply because it hasn't got a sun tan yet. I would recommend a coloured deck even if you go for a clear bottom (deck is usually facing the sun, colour pigments block UV and slow degredation), if you are going to store it upside down outside, go for colour all over.

I reckon if you are going to be camping a lot, choose tough construction, the weight of kit makes picking up knocks handling the boat to and from the water inevitable. If you mostly do day trips, go for a lighter boat and it will pick up less knocks handling ashore and you are more likley to nip out for a short session if the boat isn't a pig to load up or carry...

Return to “Sea Kayaking”