Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nickcrowhurst

Re: Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Ivan, I chose Garmin Etrex 10 because there was no annual fee, and the satellite coverage was better than Spot, (which a few years ago had the ability to send messages. I'm not up to date on this). Used Etrex 10s are on ebay.com for 25 $ U.S plus shipping.
The rudder is not necessary on a Vember Tandem, and the skeg will suffice, which is how I designed it. Any rudder should be used like a skeg i.e. raised when going to windward. A rudder can be fitted to maximise stowing space in the rear compartment, which would otherwise be taken up by a skeg box.
The Tandem requires a different set of forms than Vember, as the beam will be greater than Vember's.
The extra length is dealt with by increasing the spacing between the forms.
Nick.

Ivan Blumenschein

Post by Ivan Blumenschein »

Nick, I´m afraid Etrex devices will not send an SOS, they only receive GPS signal (but do not send any). The Garmin products that will send an SOS are the InReach family, with prices (new) starting at U$300 and requiring subscription.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Ivan, apologies, I'm getting my acronyms confused. A PLB is what I meant. We have a couple of Mcmurdo Fast Find 206s. They are solely for emergency use. They need a replacement battery fitted by a Mcmurdo agent every few years. We've had ours for 10 years, so I may be out of date.

nickcrowhurst

Basar in Istanbul

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Basar, who lives in Istanbul, is a skilled and experienced engineer. He has been a great supporter of the project for several years, and has made valuable contributions, including producing the data files for our 3D deck-line fittings. The below photo shows him, in his Shrike, paddling under the subway bridge in the centre of Istanbul:

nickcrowhurst

Shrike sticker

Post by nickcrowhurst »

We have a self-adhesive sticker (9cm x 5cm) for the Shrikes, and many Shrikes are so equipped. It has a space for the hull number, and for the builder's name, and we place it beside the backrest, on the bulkhead. I have a supply of stickers, but builders may wish to download the file and adapt it. Please PM me if you want a sticker by snail mail, or the file by personal email, as attachments are not permitted on these posts, on PMs or on the forum email system.

nickcrowhurst

The youngest Shriker?

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Tugrul's offspring in Istanbul:

Oisin

Post by Oisin »

The sound track to this picture is the opening scene from the film 4 weddings and a funeral.

(Cut the box for the skeg slider in a nice natural position to reach,forgetting length of the internal part that joins the cable to the slider. Probably 8 mm too close to the bulkhead.)

Will find out tomorrow if the larger outside profile will cover up moving the skeg slider box forward

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I can't totally envisage what you have done but It looks just like the sort of thing I fear I will do at some point.
There are aspects of solving a 3D puzzle in building a boat but that is possibly why we've got hooked.

Oisin

Post by Oisin »

It was an easy repair in the end, I used some marine grade masking tape (Fleetwood brand) to put the piece I cut out back in, you'd hardly notice it.

I'm planning to glue the bit I cut out to a ply wood backing plate, glue that in place from the inside and grout the outside with thickened epoxyImage

darylf

Post by darylf »

Tried a few times to upload photos without success but this time it seems to have worked, so this is where I am with my shrike, thinking about putting the lid on it.
Another learning curve to be negotiated!
Enjoying this very much so many thanks to Nick and Chris for gifting this boat to the world!

DavidDeWitt

Tandem vember

Post by DavidDeWitt »

I finally have the Vember tandem I am building ready to be fiberglassed. Of the three Vembers I have built this was the easiest to strip as its scaled up size (20%) requires less twist in the WRC strips at the stern of the boat.

DavidDeWitt

Tapering infill strips

Post by DavidDeWitt »

In the middle of my second Vember build I was frustrated by how tedious it was to cut and fit the 16 tapered infill strips (4 one each side of each end) using a bandsaw and hand plane (for the tandem some of the taper strips are almost 5’ in length). I realized that tapering a strip was the same process as tapering a leg of a table or cutting a scarf joint. The pictures below show the jig I made. Using it one can cut a perfectly straight taper in about 10 seconds using a table saw. The first picture shows the jig. The base is a 5’ long piece of 3/4” plywood about 4” wide. The middle layer is a piece of hardwood the same thickness as strips used to build the boat and about 1.5” wide. The top layer (which is glued to the middle layer) holds the strip being tapered in place. The middle and top layers pivot on a screw at the front of the base. The saw fence is set to the same width as the base and the blade is set slightly higher than the thickness of the strips (say 1/4”). To taper a strip one simply inserts the strip to be tapered and pivots the upper parts of the jig so that a taper of the appropriate length gets cut. Two screws are then inserted to hold the strip to the base and to prevent any movement. One quick pass through the table saw cuts the taper.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Building a Vember is a way off for me. My Shrike build is ticking along slowly. I have found strong nylon fishing line helpful at points and stiched a section of keel that was giving me grief before using CA glue. some ties will remain till I have filleted and taped it as I understand that nylon is not adhered to by epoxy.

My workshop lighting starts to fade after 9.30

DavidDeWitt

Post by DavidDeWitt »

Looks great. Everyone has a first boat. The process and results are addictive and frankly building a Vember is not that much harder than building a Shrike.

darylf

Just about done

Post by darylf »

Not quite decided on the deck rigging yet but I think I'm pretty well done with my Shrike Too build, not perfect by any means, but I've learnt a lot and the next build will get the benefit of those hard lessons, just got to learn to paddle and roll it now, not necessarily in that order!

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Daryl, congratulations, and well done. She looks great, with smooth lines. I recommend learning the standard Greenland Roll. There are a bunch of highly skilled Shrike paddlers and rollers south of you, near Plymouth. If it suits you, PM me and I can put you in touch.
Nick

Oisin

Post by Oisin »

Your kayak looks great Daryl well done!

darylf

Post by darylf »

Thanks for the kind words chaps, and yes Nick may take you up on that, I'll get out a few times with the mrs as wingperson and see how it all feels, going to be an interesting journey I think.

Oisin

Post by Oisin »

It's a boat! (Just the deck lines left to fit)

Thanks to all the posters here for all the helpful advice and questions answered!

I've really enjoyed putting this kayak together over the last few years, it brought a smile every time I saw it in the workshop.

Thanks Nick and Chris for putting this project out there!
ImageImage

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Oisin, you look very much at home in your Shrike. Well done, and thank you for your kind words.
Nick

nickcrowhurst

Building a hull from a kit

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Here's a photo record of building a Shrike hull from a Selkie kit: http://www.oxfordkayaktours.com/misc/bu ... rike-kayak

nickcrowhurst

Action in Brazil

Post by nickcrowhurst »

André in Brazil has set out the bulkheads and temporary forms, and is getting ready to install the sheer clamps. A ladder makes a good building base for attaching the two external temporary forms:

nickcrowhurst

Craig from the U.K in his Vember

Post by nickcrowhurst »

"I am really pleased with the kayak and it gets many good comments. Many thanks for all your help and for the build manual."
Craig.

DavidDeWitt

Post by DavidDeWitt »

Beautiful boat. I really like the look of a painted hull with the mahogany deck.

nickcrowhurst

From Phil in the U.K

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Phil has been kind enough to send this message:
Hi Nick,
Its been a few months with the new boat …. Still not totally finished….. but been out in it enough now to get a real feel for the boat - mine tracks really well and is totally happy without a skeg - overall its a really great little boat and I'm very happy with it - thanks again for everything! Went out from Port Quin in it this morning - conditions were beautiful - went rock hopping which was great with no accidents - and to top it all I drifted up to a group of puffins which were hanging out in the sea by the island. I just kept totally still and they were interested in me and swam to less than a paddle length away - we just sat there looking at each other - was just the most amazing experience. Photo below is from a few weeks ago….

nickcrowhurst

More action at the Archipelago Folk School

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Sarah and Trish, who visited us earlier this Summer, are taking the one week course to build a Shrike at the Archipelago Folk School on Mull, off the west coast of Scotland. It is the most popular course at the School, and six participants can attend each course, which is a grand way of combining a holiday with taking away your Shrike at the end of the week. From the ladies this morning, a message and some photos:
Good morning Nick and Sandra...!
We are both loving the course....! It’s just amazing to see the Shrike taking shape.
:

Beryl

Re: Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home constructi

Post by Beryl »

Out in my Shrike today. Whether on the top of the car or sitting on the beach, I’m still taken by how small and dainty it is. People just love it! I paid my £1.50 to the ladies in the boatyard today and I’m ‘The chap with the ‘lovely wooden kayak’. The young people that have taken to living on small elderly boats moored around the boatyard all say hello in various ways because it’s all about wooden boats and doing something yourself.

There’s a particular young couple that a very effusive about the Shrike. One time I took my Plastic Vortex for an outing and got an ironic, good-humoured, thumbs down!
Growing old disgracefully

nickcrowhurst

A 3-piece in Austria

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Christof in Austria has just finished his immaculate 3-piece sectional Shrike. It is the first Shrike we know of in Austria, so that's the 53rd country:

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

So could a novice at working with wood etc from plans be able to build one of these. I can imagine the wife and I out in a pair of those..with that yea I made these feeling.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi P4ddy
Most certainly at least that is my experience. I started my actual build in sometime around April before that I built a model to get my head round the process. That probably isn't necessary but it helped me.
I am about 2/3 of the way through. It takes time and head scratching.
A light boat. Materials cost around £500 but others will say less if you shop around.