Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ivan Blumenschein

Re: Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Post by Ivan Blumenschein »

Can I have a serial number, please? 🙂

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Ivan, beautiful job, lovely paint work. I have you allocated as number 288 on my spreadsheet. In which country are you based?
Many thanks for the photos.
Nick.

Ivan Blumenschein

Post by Ivan Blumenschein »

S/N 288 she is, then. Thanks!
I'm in Southern Brazil.
- 103% scaled up
- 4mm marine plywood (couldn't find 3mm here)
- glassed inside and outside, and taped twice the seams both inside and outside. Nevertheless, I can carry it easily by myself.
- through-the-deck retractable skeg (couldn't find the proper cables here and prefer not having a glued hose fitting inside the hull)

Eager to try it at the sea next saturday!
Thanks for the plans again.

Stuwar

Post by Stuwar »

She’s a beauty!

Paul-C

Post by Paul-C »

It's about time I introduced myself on this thread. I've been lurking for some time, after Nick kindly gave me some advice on my Shrike build via pm last summer. It's been slow progress, but I'm finally nearing completion. I'll post some photos once it's all done.

I'm now turning my thoughts to other essentials. Can anyone recommend a spray deck to fit the standard Shrike cockpit rim? I quite like the look of the Reid ones, but the dimensions appear not to quite fit one of their standard sizes (slightly too narrow for their size C). Made to measure may be the way to go, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any suggestions.

Stuwar

Post by Stuwar »

Is it the keyhole cockpit?

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Paul-C wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 pm
Can anyone recommend a spray deck to fit the standard Shrike cockpit rim?
Although I've built two shrikes with keyhole cockpits, I made the rims using a template that a mate had traced off his Tiderace boat rather than using the one that comes with the build manual. That would be an easy option for you if you haven't already made yours, i.e. trace around a cockpit rim for which you know spraydecks that fit and just build that. It would be no more difficult than using the standard template.

Other than that, all I can say is that whenever I've needed to work out what spraydeck fits, I've either got away with comparing dimensions to the manufacturer's size charts you'll find online or taking my boat to a shop to try it. Failing that, and if nobody else can give you a definitive answer, your best bet might be to measure the rim circumference and compare it to that of popular boats for which you know which decks fit.

By the way, I didn't like the Reed spraydeck I was borrowing for a while for my Ocean cockpit. I found the rucked-up elasticated edges were too bulky/clumsy which made it much more of a faff to get on/off than a bog-standard neoprene one, and I think that fabric they use is really susceptible to abrasion. Reed wouldn't replace a deck which hadn't fitted my mate's boat - he returned it undamaged, but I think he hadn't fully dried it out after rinsing it. So they may have had some justification, but at the same time I've never found Reed's customer service have gone the extra mile to be deserving of any brand loyalty.

Paul-C

Post by Paul-C »

PlymouthDamo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 pm
Paul-C wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 pm
Can anyone recommend a spray deck to fit the standard Shrike cockpit rim?
Although I've built two shrikes with keyhole cockpits, I made the rims using a template that a mate had traced off his Tiderace boat rather than using the one that comes with the build manual. That would be an easy option for you if you haven't already made yours, i.e. trace around a cockpit rim for which you know spraydecks that fit and just build that. It would be no more difficult than using the standard template.

Other than that, all I can say is that whenever I've needed to work out what spraydeck fits, I've either got away with comparing dimensions to the manufacturer's size charts you'll find online or taking my boat to a shop to try it. Failing that, and if nobody else can give you a definitive answer, your best bet might be to measure the rim circumference and compare it to that of popular boats for which you know which decks fit.

By the way, I didn't like the Reed spraydeck I was borrowing for a while for my Ocean cockpit. I found the rucked-up elasticated edges were too bulky/clumsy which made it much more of a faff to get on/off than a bog-standard neoprene one, and I think that fabric they use is really susceptible to abrasion. Reed wouldn't replace a deck which hadn't fitted my mate's boat - he returned it undamaged, but I think he hadn't fully dried it out after rinsing it. So they may have had some justification, but at the same time I've never found Reed's customer service have gone the extra mile to be deserving of any brand loyalty.
I've already built the rim, do making it to fit a known deck isn't an option unfortunately. Bring new to sea kayaking I had assumed that keyhole cockpits and decks were pretty much universal, but apparently they're not!

Your thoughts in Reed durability and customer service are helpful, thanks. I'll have a look at size charts from other manufacturers.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

I've used Reed decks for years on my Shrikes and Vembers, and so has Christopher in the USA. Reed is a small family business, and I've always had great service. I like the decks because they are light and roll up small at one's waist when on the beach. Neoprene decks are heavy when wet, and inconvenient when stopping for lunch, etc. I wouldn't use a Reed deck for rescue practice, as dragging some heavy kayak across the deck could wear the surface. A neoprene deck is good for keeping warm in the very cold winters in the USA, for example.
Paul, did you use one of the cockpit shapes I put on the plans? If so, there are standard decks that will fit. Otherwise, Reed made-to-measure decks are only a small supplement in cost.
Nick

nickcrowhurst

Gareth in the UK:

Post by nickcrowhurst »

From Gareth in the UK, another Shrike, the far one in the photo:

Paul-C

Post by Paul-C »

nickcrowhurst wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 pm
I've used Reed decks for years on my Shrikes and Vembers, and so has Christopher in the USA. Reed is a small family business, and I've always had great service. I like the decks because they are light and roll up small at one's waist when on the beach. Neoprene decks are heavy when wet, and inconvenient when stopping for lunch, etc. I wouldn't use a Reed deck for rescue practice, as dragging some heavy kayak across the deck could wear the surface. A neoprene deck is good for keeping warm in the very cold winters in the USA, for example.
Paul, did you use one of the cockpit shapes I put on the plans? If so, there are standard decks that will fit. Otherwise, Reed made-to-measure decks are only a small supplement in cost.
Nick
Hi Nick
Yes, I used the standard keyhole cockpit shape from the plans. It's possible that the dimensions vary slightly after final sanding, but I don't think so. It's 89 x 49 cm, which is too wide for Reid's size B keyhole and marginally narrower than the stated minimum width for their size C. Possibly close enough for the size C (only 1cm), but I'd like to get it right.
Being a newby to sea kayaking I will need plenty rescue practice, so there might be sense in starting out with a budget neoprene deck and getting a Reid one later once I've (hopefully) developed the skills for longer tours. It looks like standard Palm or Peak ones will fit.
Thanks
Paul

fergus_finn

Post by fergus_finn »

When I built my shrike I ordered a Reed aquatherm spraydeck. I was in a hurry and I went with the stock Shrike pattern which they said they had. It fits ok but pops off when I lie on the back deck so not much use really. IMO it was my mistake as I should have taken the time and traced out the pattern on newspaper (as Reed suggest). This also means you can mark the seat position so that the hole in the deck matches where you actually sit. I managed to borrow a neoprene deck from a friend and that works like a charm (sorry cannot remember make). So the lesson learned was to take the time and do the job properly which you would think I should have learned by now !

Oisin

Post by Oisin »

That's a standard whitewater deck on the standard keyhole rim (yak krya is the model)

This was my first time trying to fit a deck on it, glad that fits!Image