Buying gas canisters Bastia/ St Florent, Corsica

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
woodsy

Buying gas canisters Bastia/ St Florent, Corsica

Post by woodsy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am

Does anyone have info. on where to buy the screw on epi gas or similiar gas canisters around Corsica?
Can't take canisters as flying, so would need a source asap near to Bastia.
Most of the ones for sale around France seem to be the camping gaz pierceable ones.
Cheers
Woodsy

Wilf

Re: Buying gas canisters Bastia/ St Florent, Corsica

Post by Wilf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:08 am

Not looking good Woodsy, it would seem that Camping Gaz is the preferred fuel there.

found this though...
"The screw top cannisters are more used for DIY stuff on the continent, being the type used for paintstrippers etc. So it's often worth checking in Bricolage merchants in France for them. Oh and there's only one stockist of threaded cannisters in Corsica and he's a long way from the GR20...."

and

"The screw top canisters aren't nearly as easy to find abroad as the pierceable kind. And although the thread is supposedly universal, in practice I find slight differences between manufacturers and countries of origin which sometimes create difficulties with fitting anything other than an MSR cartridge to my MSR stove.

Safest thing to do if you're travelling in Europe is to take a resealable adaptor, then you can use the pierceable cartridges which are available in supermarkets, garages and campsite shops. Though the extra weight may convince you that it's easier to take a multifuel stove instead."
Taken from http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... /9/v/8/sp/
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

app

Post by app » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello Woodsy,

The clip on campingaz cartridges are sold in most supermarkets i.e. CV 470 "Easy Clic Plus" ,

I brought one of these adaptors http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Markill-Camping-S ... 1c148ea469 from Ebay ( I have to say a bit cheaper than this one is)

You can always put it back on ebay after you return

regards Colin

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:44 pm

- or, the one designed to convert a puncture canister - both shown here - Mike

IMPORTANT - Update - 8 May 2012.

A word of caution about the Edelrid C206 Puncture Canister Adapter I linked to above - a friend has been using them for years, but at the weekend accidentally unscrewed the adaptor when meaning to just uncrew the gas connection from it. He was in his tent at the time, with another burner running and the resultant explosion from the escaping gas igniting left him and his partner somewhat shocked, him rather singed and the tent with minor damage. They were very, very lucky indeed. An experience neither they nor I would wish on anyone.

I've heard tell of someone else who was very badly burned as a result of a gas escape and resultant explosion - although I can't comment on whether that was resulting from a similar adaptor. Mike.

woodsy

Post by woodsy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Cheers for the suggestions guys,
The adaptor seems to be the way to go so will get one sorted.