Wanted: Surf Boat for taller paddler

Surf Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
SwamP

Wanted: Surf Boat for taller paddler

Post by SwamP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:20 pm

2nd hand or advice for new; I've moved to within a mile or so of a surf beach and need a boat.

Anything going 2nd hand? Or guidance on the best thing to buy new?

Ideally looking at IC or a longer HP....
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

johnysmoke

Re: Wanted: Surf Boat for taller paddler

Post by johnysmoke » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm 6'2 maybe 6'3 on a good day, 250lbs and with size 13 feet. I can squeeze into a Bullitt S, so that or a Banshee might be a place to start. I'd check out an IC boat for fit and volume as well if there's any around.

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm

The Banshee is a fab boat: love mine! If you check out the Mega internet page you will see that they have a stock Banshee for sale. The also have a stock Ghost for sale too; this is normally a IC boat but the one currently for sale has been fitted with a tri-fin set up.

You might also want to check out their plastic Neutron X which is made of a very rigid/stiff plastic which has little flex in it. I had the chance to paddle one a few months ago and I was really impressed with it's weight and performance! It surfed really well and I would highly recommend that if you have the chance to go surf one.

Although I know other surf boats are available, I would also suggest that you give Pete at Mega a bell; it will be worth the effort to chat through surf boat options with a guy who is very knowledgeable, helpful and approachable.

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Id be surprised if you can get your feet into a Bullitt and at your weight would suggest the neutron is going to be very low in (under ?!) the water.
Mega Banshee or Ride Eclipse are likely candidates or Megatron if you wanted to go for a shorter HP boat.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 pm

I think Ryan now has a Banshee.

Colin

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Another big paddler here (6ft2 with size 13 feet) who is in the market for a big surf boat.

Pardon my ignorance but what's the meaning of HP and IC?

I got a taste of surf kayaking at the recent symposium in Hayle, but none of the boats on offer fitted me so that's why I'm interested in this discussion and want my own.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm

IC - International Class - 300cm or over, no fins.
HP - High Performance - 270cm or less, usually with 3 fins although some folk will choose to paddle with less to give a less locked-in feel.

What boats did you try to get into ??

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Ahhh, thank you. Do you think one class likely to be better for a novice than another?

Can't tell you which boats I tried. But JP of Lizard Adventures knew I'm tall and brought several; all were impossibly small.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm

I would suggest speaking to Lizard and asking what boats they offered you and indeed what they would recommend if they have seen you fail to get into what they have.

Everyone will have a different opinion re what's the best boat both for novices and experienced paddlers as its hugely subjective and also depends a lot on what your paddling background is. However, one of the 'long short-boats' seems to be a pretty good compromise of ease of use / comfort / performance.

So Ride Eclipse, Mega Banshee and the likes.

Here's a wee clip discussing boats courtesy of Glenmore Lodge, there are others on their page worth a view if this is all new to you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EH0G-7a72Q_

Wet Willie

Post by Wet Willie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi

I'm just about to sell my Mega Megatron X-Tech layup. It's carbon Kevlar throughout so incredibly light and stiff. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs and couldn't get in any other Mega boat when I visited them. The Megatron is in virtually perfect condition as I used it a couple of times on sandy beaches.

Photos available from willie.carr@hotmail.co.uk

I haven't worked out yet how much it's worth but I think it's GBP1,400 new.

Willie

Wet Willie

Post by Wet Willie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi

My Mega Megatron is just about to go up for sale. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs and couldn't get in any other Mega boat. The boat is an X-Tech, ie carbon kevlar throughout and in virtually perfect condition as only used 3-4 times on sandy beaches.

For photos, try me at willie.carr@hotmail.co.uk.

I'm not sure what to ask yet but I think it's GBP 1,400 new.

Willie