Valley sirona vs delphin vs dagger strattos

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
Water addict

Valley sirona vs delphin vs dagger strattos

Post by Water addict » Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Im in the market for a new day/weekend sea kayak and am not sure which of the above to go for. Has anyone tested the above and how do they compare. I want something playfull and manoverable but also able to be used on rivers for touring. Thanks in advance

Mrstratos61

Re: Valley sirona vs delphin vs dagger strattos

Post by Mrstratos61 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I have the Stratos .really pleased with the performance and outfitting. Mucked about in Devon surf but mainly used on river touring. Paid £ 400 for an immaculate condition second hand with spraydeck.

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks for reply does the stratos turn quickly as ive found with previous longer kayaks its a struggle to get them around between waves also how easy is it to roll please

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 pm

It edges really well .right over to spraydeck part underwater. A couple of strokes and turns on own axis. I've done Shepperton slalom gates in mine! Rolling is a work in progress for me but looking at you tube video it's fine. You tube for clips surfing rockhopping and a grade 4 White water run.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm

I've got a Sirona RM and Stratos (both sizes) I also have other boats, plastic and composite.

The Sirona is my go to boat for a normal day trip with some rockhopping and surfing. I would say the Stratos in either size will turn slightly quicker due to being 18 inches shorter, but then it's also slower. Both are very susceptible to weather cocking but the skeg will sort that out. I've also used the Sirona for multiday trips and am sure the Stratos will be just as good.
I did lower the seat on the Sirona and this improved the stability no end.
I really do wish the Stratos had a day hatch, otherwise it's an excellent boat for what you want it for and a very good used one will be half the price of a used Sirona.

If you're anywhere near Somerset you're welcome to try them side by side. Can't help with the Delphin though!

Cheers

Steve

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Don’t forget the dagger alchemy it’s similar to a stratos but with a day hatch and it’s a tighter fit

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm

I had a Delphin 150 for about a year but found it a bit of a lump (others may well diagree!). It was the Surf Spec. version so heavier than the standard one and, more especially, than the Corelite one. Mine felt heavy both carrying and paddling.
Well worth you having a go in your selection before making a final choice.

Rog.

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks again for reply’s and the offer Steve. Unfortunately I’m too far away to come and try them. Is there any difference in the comfort or quality of the outfitting between them?

simon64

Post by simon64 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Another vote for the stratos, compared to the valley plastic kayaks (i had the Gemini rm) its pretty basic spec, skeg is simple jam cleat rather than wire, hatches are not as good, but overall considering the price difference i rate Stratos, the seat is very comfy, as are all the dagger/perception/wavesport kayaks, the kayak is super agile, stable and more than fast enough for what its designed for, coastal exploration/play.
Its a kayak you have to take charge of though, it will wander about all over the place if you let it !
Have ordered the new Wavesport Hydra which looks perfect for its class.

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Just been to my local canoe shop and ordered the new Hydra they also had good things to say about the strattos but said the hull of the hydra was very similar but the out fitting of the seat was better and it has the small accessable hatch.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Sea kayak Oban have the Hydra and the Sirona available to demo . They are very different in both fit and performance.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

simon64

Post by simon64 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 pm

I am really suprised these 14-15 ft sporty tourers aren’t more popular, they are perfect for coastal exploration and pottering as well as river touring, they tend to be stable and forgiving whilst still sporty with reasonable speed and performance, I have flirted with “real” sea kayaks and always end up back with a alchemy/stratos/expression/hydra type kayak.