Ian

tenboats1

Re: Looking for a playful sea kayak

Post by tenboats1 »

Tiderace Xcite?

stowei

Post by stowei »

Yes something like that would fit the bill nicely. What do you have? Although if you really are in Scotland that may be a challenge!

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 »

I'm central Scotland but travel Yorkshire just about every month.
I have two xcites. Email for photos.

T

stowei

Post by stowei »

Have done so. Ian

ringmaster

Post by ringmaster »

THE Ultimate sea play boat...Jackson Karma RG ? Brilliant condition and very little use!

Arthur

Post by Arthur »

What's your budget stowei?

stowei

Post by stowei »

Thanks. Yorkshire is too far unfortunately; I find Jacksons uncomfortable and the Karma RG is not quite sea boat enough; regarding budget it's about the boat.

Kind regards

Ian

stowei

Post by stowei »

Am being told to think again re Karma RG, although I must confess I have never found Jacksons comfortable. Small too small and medium too large. I will pm Ringmaster for details however.

Ian

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Dagger Stratos 14.5 S ? Well designed and fairly cheap.
P&H Virgo

stowei

Post by stowei »

Thanks Simon. I have access to some boats similar to Dagger Stratos and a bit too 'touring' for me. Ian

simon64

Post by simon64 »

The Stratos is designed as a playful short sea kayak rather than a tourer, lots of rocker, it’s certainly more playful than the plastic Valley Gemini and not far off the pyranha fusions.
P&H Virgo

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

The truth about playful sea kayaks:

Unlike surfboards where a better surfer can surf a shorter board. Sea kayaks are opposite but I have to admit I do like traditional design and am a bit of a purist. What I mean is that, the better the paddler is, the longer boat they can use in conditions and 'play'.
Sea kayaks have been getting shorter for a while, they are now at the stage where some of them are just like I creek boats or river exped boats. For me, a really good trip will include, Tiderace play, followed by a ten km mission to a good rock garden, followed by another 10km mission to a surf zone, followed by getting warm and dry and drinking coffee. That literally is the best day ever!!
Plastic sea kayaks are good, but they flex and if they take a big they still get holed and then they can't be repaired. It is possible to break a composite in half and then put it back together and it would still be absolutely fine.
The only models I'd bother with to be honest are:
Romany
Gemini
Aries
All composite versions so make friends with someone who is good at repairs. When one paddles composite, it's important to get good at reading water, overcoming peer pressure and carrying an adequate repair kit.
These boats are also good to learn in and they will stay on the rack for 'play' whilst the bigger trips may require a boat of around 17ft. Having said all this, a shorter boat is good for places like the Cornish north coast, with big steep shore breaks, or the bitches in good flow, or anywhere where there are steep wave faces. Usually though sea kayakers hang out in more mellow conditions.

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

The Xcite is a top quality boat which tends to do everything pretty well. It has a good cruising speed and turns well

stowei

Post by stowei »

Thanks Overfallpaddler.

Yes I have probably come round to composite. I used to build glass kayaks when I was a teenager so I am comfortable with repairs, and I agree that plastic boats are only tougher until you break them. Having said that, I am pretty tempted by the Karma RG as a rock garden boat that can also do flat water distance when that is what my mates want to do (they have a fascination with racking up the kilometers). I particularly like the Jackson uni-block footrest for long stints in the seat, although I find Jackson sizing a bit odd for max control in bigger white water (because I am the wrong size compared to the Jackson mannequins obviously - the Mediums are too big in the cockpit and the Smalls too small in volume - although the Karma RG is one size fits all, and I would just have to spend a long time with some foam blocks, a knife and a glue gun).

I am thinking that I might end up with something like a Karma RG and also a composite sea kayak. The n+1 principle runs in the family.

Yes to those boats that you mention, plus the Xcite definitely. I have been offered an Xcite, but it is too far away unless something happens to take me up north one day.

Ian

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy »

I'm considering selling my rockpool Alaw as I'm just not getting the opportunity to use it at the moment. In the best colour (red glitter with starfish). Drop me a message if you're interested.

stowei

Post by stowei »

Yes indeed. Email sent

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”