Wanted P&H Virgo

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
layneoftheloch

Wanted P&H Virgo

Post by layneoftheloch »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a P&H Virgo. I live in the Western Highlands, I'd be willing to travel to collect if shipping it is not possible - living up here with family in Wales, I'm used to long journeys!

Thanks for any replies :)

simon64

Re: Wanted P&H Virgo

Post by simon64 »

Sea kayak Oban had stock a couple of weeks ago, and you can demo one first, they have a good selection of demo kayaks
P&H Virgo

layneoftheloch

Post by layneoftheloch »

Thanks Simon- I just spoke with Mark from Sea Kayaks Oban today and I'm going to go and demo one soon. He seems a very friendly guy and was willing to come out on a Sunday for me to be able to do that, so impressed with the service so far.

If there is anyone out there with a used one for sale I'd be very interested too.

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Does this not put more pressure of the tester to then commit to buying? Great opportunity if relaxed with no pressure. It just seems a bit more involved than test driving a car or bike etc.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

P4ddy wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:49 am
Does this not put more pressure of the tester to then commit to buying? Great opportunity if relaxed with no pressure. It just seems a bit more involved than test driving a car or bike etc.
I must admit I would feel the pressure to buy. I’d rather pay a hire fee for the day, say £50, refundable if you buy. The weekend jaunts where they throw a lot of kayaks at, hopefully, a lot of punters always appealed. £150 ish for a nice free for all!

Thread high jack alert....
Growing old disgracefully

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Oban sea kayaks charge for the demo service, and they let you take the kayaks out on your own, so less pressure, my experience of this particular shop is that they want you to get the best kayak for your needs and are happy if you come away undecided, I felt no pressure at all to buy.
P&H Virgo

sloegin

Post by sloegin »

Hi All

Mark from Sea Kayak Oban here. Just to clarify, we do charge for demos £35 for plastic and £50 for composite and plastic (1 charge - as many different boats as you like over the day). We do this for a few reasons:

The demo boats aren't free to us - they cost the same as all of the others on the shelf but sit around most of the time doing nothing. The demo fleet this year was 43 boats - that's a large investment with little hope of actual return on it.

As simon64 said we don't accompany you on the water, we want you to go out and make your own choice. Essentially we hand you a £4000 boat never having met you before and wave you goodbye for the day if you want, we trust you and offer you the chance of as unbiased unpressured a paddling time as possible.The insurance policy that allows us to do that is expensive...

We give you the money back if you make a purchase. The purchase doesn't have to be on the day, could be months later. If you can't decide between 2 boats and want to come back another day we don't charge again.

We don't tell you what to buy, but we do answer any questions you have; but it takes a long time to build up the experience of 43 different boats to be able to answer your questions succinctly and accurately, we think that research time is worth something in of itself.

Without wanting to embarrass the OP - if we offered free demos, we'd get a lot of people who would use us as a shop window to try boats and then buy second hand. Of course that's their choice but we can't afford to offer the service as we do and take nothing home; especially with the limited capacity this year has offered us (one household per day for demos - most of the season paddling was 'banned').

COVID directives from Sport Scotland and our insurers dictates each boat that is touched must be sanitised thoroughly to protect the next paddler, this takes considerable time, effort and costs in chemicals and water. A person demoing could sit in 8 boats over the course of the day, that's a lot of cleaning.

Don't forget 20% of that demo fee is VAT, and another 20% (ish) income tax. Accountancy, insurance, software to allow you to book and pay online, credit card fees and the afore mentioned cost of the boat itself and the spray deck we lend you, cleaning afterwards. The £35.00 really doesn't go far.

Reading this back it sounds like an advert - which it's not meant to be at all. Its important to Laura and I that we are viewed as open and honest and fair.
Be well , we hope to meet you on the water some time.
North shore Ocean 17.6

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Thanks for that Mark. Much appreciated 👍

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”