what glue for foam in mega boat

Riding the waves
pablo

what glue for foam in mega boat

Post by pablo »

hello all
have a boost. the centre pillars are really loose though clearly were glued in at one stage . i'm not sure this matter too much - I don't know whether the rigidity they add is essential to stop flex that would ultimately lead to probs with cracking - its xtech so should be pretty rigid I guess
also every time I glue neoprene pads to hull for knee comfort, they last 6 months then fall off - ive been using same kind of drill as for plastic boats - roughen , evo stick / double glue the neoprene face fabric etc
anyone got any good ideas for either the pillars or other foam pads?
cheers
paul
pray for rain.....

Gary F

Re: what glue for foam in mega boat

Post by Gary F »

There are others who can answer more authoratively than me, but the pillar must definitely be fitted. I fell carrying mine once and detached the pillar. Malcolm (Mr Mega himself) recommended Bostik Sticks-like-sh*t (sounds like a joke but I promise it isn't). Mine hasn't moved since and feels solid. If your pillar is fully out and the heel area hasn't been cut away I'd do that too as it increases effective footroom and comfort significantly (and is tough to do all with the pillar in place!

As far as sticking in the knee pads, evostick is the weapon of choice (usually the green Denzil?), but I use closed cell foam which sticks much better and I think it's better padding than neoprene

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba »

I used to use spray carpet glue, never lost anything out of a kayak or had any of the padding come lose after using the spray carpet glue. If using the carpet glue and you ever need to remove some padding it dissolves with white spirit.
Now I used Nemesis from Screwfix, its pretty much the same as Sikaflex but the Nemesis product has the advantage it will adhere to damp surfaces. I also like using Nemesis as its in a silicone style tube, easy to apply and not messy. It adheres really well and I have not had any issues with bits coming lose but if you ever need to remove padding it will peel off relatively easily.

pablo

Post by pablo »

Cool, thanks guys really helpful
Paul
pray for rain.....