Wavesport ZG Vs Project X

Riding the waves
Junior

Wavesport ZG Vs Project X

Post by Junior » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Can anyone tell me how these two boats would differ in the surf?

Has anyone paddled both and could give me a brief description on their strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks.

yabbadabba

Re: Wavesport ZG Vs Project X

Post by yabbadabba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 pm

I have had both. To be honest in my opinion I found no strengths for the ZG, loved the Wavesport Project X in every way.
The ZG was ultra cheap so I picked it up to have a play like you do. The seating position felt slightly odd, I could never get the seat position right to feel balanced in the ZG. I never found the ZG predictable or stable. Comfort was an issue for me, the leg angle seemed too shallow. Outfitting was ok and up to Wavesports general good quality. On rivers it was ok, stable enough, as a playboat I didnt like it very much, on surf it was ok, not amazing but not totally naff. Ok to roll when needed.
I paid good money for the Wavesport Project X and loved it. Comfort was excellent, a good seating position allowing for lots of rotation and movement, a 2-3 hour surf session was never a problem. On the river it was good fun, as a playboat excellent, in the surf well it was amazing fun but not a surf kayak ;-) On white water days it was excellent fun, very predictable and super stable when required with the looseness of a playboat when you wanted it. I found you could control the Project X so well it gave amazing confidence to mess around in the white water lots, it was super easy to roll.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am

That's great advice, thank you!

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am

Being curious are you new to playing in the surf?
Why are you asking about the Wavesport ZG and Project X?

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Not new to surf, I currently paddle a Fluid Element as I can't get on with edgey surf boats. I love how the Element surfs and I can roll it relatively easy in the pool, but it's only good for surf conditions and nothing else. I also struggle to roll it out in the sea which I think is due to confidence.

A friend is selling ZG and found that even easier to roll, but wondered whether a newer project X would be better.
I've been thinking along the lines as to whether a playboat would be more practical and improve my confidence out in the sea being easier to roll?

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Ah makes sense and yes I agree with the confidence bit. The Wavesport Project X, Wavesport XXX, Jackson Star, Jackson Allstar 2010, Riot Air 45, Riot Glide, Riot Astro, Riot Trickster/Prankster are a few kayaks that I have used in the surf and really enjoyed them all. The longer boats like the Wavesport XXX and the Riot Glide make for an easier paddle out as they have the extra length allowing for extra speed. The Wavesport XXX is very very good if you can A - Get in one and B - Get comfy for a paddle session without cramp in the feet. To be honest all of the Riot kayaks seem good, good stability with nice edges to play on a wave.
The Riot Glide was another playboat I really liked, good volume allowed for a really easy paddle, it felt more like a river runner to paddle as it was so stable but it perfomed really well on the surf.
Over time I have found one kayak doesnt fit all :-(
I now have a Jackson Allstar 2010, no better or worse than the Wavesport Project X but I find the volume suits me and I like the rope and cleat mechanism for the back band.
Too add to the Allstar I also have a Necky Jive and a recently aquired Mega Rio Jester oh and a camper van to store them all in.
I totally agree with confidence and rolling, I often spend time in the playboat right in the dump zone and take a trashing for 30 mins or more just to remain accustomed to it.
Funny as I used to have a Fluid Element, I found it surfed ok ish but found it rolled ok in a pool but was a pig to roll in moving water, took a few swims at Fistral in the Element.

Aha, found it. A post from a couple of years ago down at Sennen in the summer. My sons first paddle in surf, he was in the Wavesport Project X 48, I was in a Riot Glide -

We spent a couple of hours near the carpark end so my son could get used to playing in the surf, the Project X was awesome for this because of the amazing secondary stabilty. You can see the difference in speed between the Project X and the Glide, the Glide with the extra length could pick up much more speed even on the smaller waves.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I love having the fins on the element, it makes a big difference in a wave. The white-water seating position suits me much better compared to surf kayaks with the low knees close together.

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 pm

I prefer the white water position as well, I find low knee's close together to be uncomfortable over a period of time.