Which Kayak??

Riding the waves
Oldfella

Which Kayak??

Post by Oldfella » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am

Hi
I am new to kayaking and I currently own a kayak that is about 10 foot long.
We have changed to a smaller car without roof bars and I am now unable to transport old kayak..
Iam thinking about buying a smaller kayak that I can transport in back of car with rearseats dropped down.rear door would have to up and tied down because some of kayak would be sticking out.

I wouldnt want to be doing white waters or anything drastic, just quiet rivers, canals and maybe the odd outing at the seaside.
I have looked at those short kayaks that are used for tricks and white water and they look pretty stable.

I am 6 foot and 14.5 stone.
Can anyone recommend a suitable small kayak for my size n weight.
Cheers

MikeVeal

Re: Which Kayak??

Post by MikeVeal » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 pm

I think the short boats you are referring to are playboats.

They do have a couple of drawbacks. Firstly, they are slow to paddle in a straight line. If you're thinking of daytripping, you'll tire more quickly in one of these and cover less miles in the process.

Secondly they are designed to do tricks. They are designed to be easy to get vertical. For want of a better description, playboats have edges designed to catch the flow and dive under the water. For a total newbie, this can be disconcerting, but you'll soon learn. On flat water with no current, you won't notice.

They are very sensitive to body position, leaning a little forwards or back will change the characteristics. They'll spin on a dime rather than drift in a straight line.

And lastly, they can be a tight fit, especially if you have large feet.

It will do what you want it to. But you should expect to have a steeper learning curve. Expect to be a bit more frustrated by the boat doing it's own thing for a short while. Persevere & you will master it and you will have learnt more in the process.

At 14.5 stone, go for the "large" size of any playboat you buy. Make sure you fit comfortably. Check the manufacturer's weight range (online) and get a trial paddle if you can.

Oldfella

Post by Oldfella » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I've never been on the sea with a kayak mike and was wondering if these play boats would be stable with all the waves.
I am willing to go to club to learn kayaking, but over turning at sea would be frightening.

We have just bought a motorhome and I was wondering if I bought a playboat I could tie it onto the bike rack on the back and take it away with us.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:20 pm

The problem with a wide, flat bottomed boat on the sea is that it will want to sit flat on the water surface. That's fine when the water is flat, but on the side of a wave, the water is sloping, so the boat tips with it. When you have experience, you cope with that fairly easily, but initially it will tend to tip you in.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Oldfella wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:55 pm
I am willing to go to club to learn kayaking, but over turning at sea would be frightening.
If that is the case, go and find a local club. Have a play with their boats, then decide which boat suits you.

Oldfella

Post by Oldfella » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:46 pm

I think there is a club at Maltby swimming pool. Will give them a call to see what's on.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Maltby just up the road from Rotherham?
That'll be the Green Star Canoe Club, but they only use the pool during the winter months and are nearly finished with it for this year.
https://www.greenstarcanoeclub.co.uk

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:38 pm

There is also Sheffield City Kayak Club, not too far away.

http://www.sheffieldcitykayakclub.co.uk/

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 am

Just to ask a dumb question in response to the OP: Since you are apparently being driven to buy a new boat by the lack of roof bars on your new car you do know that clip on roof bars fit on any car with 4 doors and inflatable bars will fit on a c ar with 2 doors as long as it has opening windows by the back seats? buying a playboat when you do nt actually want the performance advantages sounds as though you will be most impacted by the performance disavantages of suc a boat..