car keys

Riding the waves
mikehh

car keys

Post by mikehh »

I can appreciate that modern car keys with remote operation and salt water don't mix that well, but I'm unable to get a useful answer from VW / Skoda as to whether the transponder in the key will survive immersion. Has anyone had any experience of this ? - If the transponder is sealed and so unaffected by immersion then at least I can feel confident about getting home even if the remote part of the key is a basket case >>> Developing from this, if transponders are waterproof, then having a less bulky key cut and fitted with a transponder and no remote locking would seem to resolve a problem. Has anyone gone this route ?

Thanks Mike

Chris Bolton

Re: car keys

Post by Chris Bolton »

I have done as you suggest with Ford keys, with no problems. A local auto locksmith (Stockport) was able to clone the transponder and cut non-remote keys. If I remember right it was about £200 for three copies of the same key (he came to my house and it took him over a hour to do, with some clever software on a laptop). I carry it on a cord round my neck, inside my clothing, with a short length of flexible plastic tube over the blade of the key to avoid it cutting me or clothes. I have to open the driver's door first, and turn the key in the ignition within 10s to avoid setting off the alarm.

I have no experience of WV or Skoda but I would expect that an auto locksmith would be able to tell you whether their transponders are sealed.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 »

Dry bag in a buoyancy aid pocket.

Franky

Post by Franky »

Mrstratos61 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 pm
Dry bag in a buoyancy aid pocket.
+1, and it's a good idea to attach the bag to a clip in your BA, if it has clips. I lost all my keys last year while grabbing a Mars Bar and not noticing the bag making a cheeky escape.

To clarify, I think we're talking here about Aquapac sealed bags or similar.

mikehh

Post by mikehh »

Hi guys thanks for the replies, Chris's one particularly interests me, as over the years I've gone down the various routes of waterproof bags and containers when paddling sea kayaks and to some extent surf kayaks (noting Franky's point on attaching). But when paddling wave ski's I tend to just be in a wetsuit and impact vest (hoping not to start a strand of discussion on this) and so bulky modern keys in a waterproof bag, stuffed inside ones wetsuit aren't too comfortable and one still has the fear off water ingress (particularly if out the back of beyond), hence looking to see if there is better solution where I could get a simple low profile key without remote locking that contains a transponder and is immune to water.

Thanks Mike

G7AFM

Post by G7AFM »

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I did forget the other benefit of my approach; I have enough spare keys that I can lose them and I won't be left with only one. With Ford keys, and probably others, one key is not enough to have a copy made (I assume it's an anti-theft policy). You need two keys, and then any auto locksmith can make a duplicate. If you only have one, you must go to Ford, go through the full process to prove ownership and pay about three times as much.

Daker

Post by Daker »

I use a 'dumb' key on a string around my neck which will only open the door and has no transponder so is not susceptible to water.
In my case, lock vehicle with remote, open door with dumb key, put remote etc back inside car, lock with key only. (this may depend on vehicle though).

The downside of this approach is that you then have to leave your good keys somewhere inside in the vehicle which could possibly invalidate your insurance should the car be broken into and stolen.

Similarly using a keysafe as above will invalidate insurance as most policies specifically exclude theft if the keys are left in or on the vehicle, and those boxes are very easy to smash open. However, if hiding keys inside the car as above, putting them in a keysafe would add an extra level of security / inconvenience for anyone trying to steal the car.

Personally I have an additional deadlock on the rear doors of my van and a sealed rear compartment so hide the proper keys inside there , meaning someone would need to break the door lock, and the deadlock to get in which is pretty unlikely, but if they did my insurance would not look kindly on the keys being inside.

In the past I have also used a couple of standard zip-lock bags, wrapped the intelligent key / remote up tightly and stuffed down my wetsuit without any issues.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Used to: Had mechanical only key cut and left "proper" key locked in one of those "key safe" things hidden in the car, taking the mechanical only key out on the water.

Originally purchased the key safe ("padlock style" thing e.g.https://www.safe.co.uk/products/portable-keysafe.html) with the intention to keep key in it locked to fixed tow-eye (or suspension or somewhere). 1st one I purchased was not secure enough so I got a better one and then decided I preferred the "lock in car" taking the non-electronic one out on the water.

These days I use a spare Aquapac for the normal electronic key (changed car so no longer have the mechanical only key) - fairly confident that taking a swim would keep the key dry.

Ian

Franky

Post by Franky »

Psamathe wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am
These days I use a spare Aquapac for the normal electronic key (changed car so no longer have the mechanical only key) - fairly confident that taking a swim would keep the key dry.
I have swum with keys in an Aquapac, and they remained totally dry. This was in rivers, not the sea, but there was no evidence of water ingress into the bag, so I think your confidence is well-placed.

In my earlier paddlling days, I had some swims with keys not even in an Aquapac, and they continued to work despite being damp. Probably not worth chancing it though!

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Franky wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 pm
Psamathe wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am
I have swum with keys in an Aquapac, and they remained totally dry. This was in rivers, not the sea, but there was no evidence of water ingress into the bag, so I think your confidence is well-placed.
I did check the pack before using it (for my phone) - bit of tissue paper in the pack (shows up any water very clearly) and submerge it in a saucepan for a few hours. I got a new pack recently and comparing to my older one, the close lever things do seem loser on the older one but is still water-tight.

Ian

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

Could get a waterproof box for the phone and keys, and stuff it under the stern, between the float bags and hull. Tie or clip it in to something just to be double safe.
https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/otterbox ... -3250.html

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

stuff it under the stern, between the float bags and hull
I've read a number of stories from people who have put keys and phone in their boat, swum and lost the boat. I prefer to have them on my body (if I lose that, they don't matter!).

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

Same here, I keep them in a Lomo waterproof solid plastic tube, in the big rear pocket on my buoyancy aid (and it is tied on inside the pocket).

Daker

Post by Daker »

For those using Aquapacs, are you just keeping these in a BA pocket ?

I don't have any pockets in my surf BA so anything I carry has to go down my wetsuit and I found even the smallest the Aquapac to be too big and uncomfortable to bare, with the rigid closing mechanism digging in.

I agree with others re keeping keys on your person in surf though as, whilst rare, lost boats are not unheard of.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Daker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm
For those using Aquapacs, are you just keeping these in a BA pocket ?

I don't have any pockets in my surf BA so anything I carry has to go down my wetsuit and I found even the smallest the Aquapac to be too big and uncomfortable to bare, with the rigid closing mechanism digging in.
Mine are those phone Aquapacs with a lanyard round your neck. I actually wear two, one with phone+credit card+some £ in notes, the other with car key.
https://aquapac.net/store/shop/waterpro ... case-mini/

Round neck and hanging inside T-shirt (or whatever I'm wearing).

Ian

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am
stuff it under the stern, between the float bags and hull
I've read a number of stories from people who have put keys and phone in their boat, swum and lost the boat. I prefer to have them on my body (if I lose that, they don't matter!).
D'oh! Hadn't thought about that. I never get out when it's that hardcore. Many years ago lost keys in the surf, had to borrow a stranger's cell to call home, and get spare keys dropped off. After that kept a non-electronic spare key permanently tethered in a lifejacket pocket.
My current ride is a Ford with a driver's door keypad, makes it easy to get back in without the key, so haven't had to deal with keeping an electronic key dry. Guess I'd wrap it in a bag and keep it stashed in a pocket. https://www.rei.com/product/884264/loks ... ckage-of-4

DJM

Post by DJM »

In previous vans (Transit,Dispatch) I got a key cut with no chip so would just open doors.
Have used a combination lock key safe and hook it to my towing hitch but not really required now.
After a few undesierables were interested in my modern Transit outside my house I have replaced the door lock with a more security minded, anti pick, anti tamper barrel. It has a stainless steel nonchip security key which I carry with me out in the surf which was cheaper than some of the other options listed above
Dave

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba »

On all of my vehicles that I have used for paddling I get a couple of keys cut without the transponder, one of these goes under the bodywork some where in a very obscure place and stays there, the other goes on a lanyard which goes around my neck underneath my wetsuit or BA.
I also have a fully working spare made as well which goes into the vehicle and stays there, this key will be well hidden ie behind carpet, behind a pael, on velcro tucked well out of sight and normal reach.
This way I can always get back into a vehicle if I lose everything, I can also drive as well. To add the the keys I always hide £20 in the vehicle as well.

Junior

Post by Junior »

+1 for Aquapac inside my buoyancy aid.

If you're really worried you could put the key inside a sealed sandwich bag before putting inside the aquapac to make double measures.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Junior wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:26 pm
+1 for Aquapac inside my buoyancy aid.

If you're really worried you could put the key inside a sealed sandwich bag before putting inside the aquapac to make double measures.
I've checked my AquaPac a couple of times. Just put some tissue/loo paper inside the case and seal it, then fill a saucepan with water and put the case in, weighing it down under something (I use a mug full of water). Leave for a couple of hours completely submerged.

Tissue paper/loo paper is because these show up any water very obviously.

(Personal opinion) I recon if it can stand a few hours submerged with no water getting it it's safe enough for my keys/phone.

Ian

Junior

Post by Junior »

Aquapacs are designed for this purpose, but over time i guess they could leak or not be sealed due to user error, so double bagging gives a little more piece of mind.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Junior wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:36 pm
Aquapacs are designed for this purpose, but over time i guess they could leak or not be sealed due to user error, so double bagging gives a little more piece of mind.
I used one for my phone when cycling for a few years, and when I then decided it was time to take my phone out kayaking I thought I'd feel safer with a new one. Interestingly the old one's locking things had become much loser when then compared to the new one. But both remained waterproof.

So they do wear and I'd assume that they might also be prone to grit and sand affecting the closure - but I've not used them in environments where this would be a problem.

Ian

extremekayakfishing

Post by extremekayakfishing »

I use a keysafe like most surfers

Pitchpole

Post by Pitchpole »

I have a VW and for £20 the local key shop will make a key that will open the door but not start the car. I just put that in the key pocket of my wetsuit/drysuit and lock the main key in the glove box.