Best paddle for surfing

Riding the waves
Water addict

Best paddle for surfing

Post by Water addict » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi All I'm newbe to kayaking (end of this summer) I started out in a perception Carolina 14 and I've just bought a dagger axiom 8.5 which I'm Using to play on the Ocean surf and I'm hooked. Just wanted some advice on what paddle to get as the one I got with the Carolina seems far to long for the axiom. Any advice?

Jim Tait

Re: Best paddle for surfing

Post by Jim Tait » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Most folk surf with a shorter paddle than they'd use for touring. I'm about 6 ft and my surf paddle is 194cm; other people will go shorter still...
I suppose if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then get a shorter pair. Otherwise persevere until you can get a dedicated set for the axiom

Jim

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 pm

My current paddle is 220 so was thinking of dropping down to a 200 at this seems quite a big jump or would I be better going even shorter and just getting used to it. I was thinking of something like a palm maverick G5 or saving longer and going for a powerhouse but the main beach I'm going to has loads of stones and rocks so I don't want to trash something really expensive and my skills probably won't do top notch kit justice any opinions on either of these or recommendations of something better be much appreciated

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:06 am

220 is more of a sea/touring paddle length so no wonder you found it a handful in the surf.

Personally I'd say go a little shorter than 200 (say 194-197) unless you're over 6 foot. This blade length will also be better for whitewater/general use in the Axiom. And, unless you're a beast, I'd advise against the Powerhouse blade as it has a large face area and, for the main, when surfing you want fast burst acceleration which will be tougher with a huge blade!

Enjoy your surfing!

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 pm

http://vepaddles.com/

I have the whitewater carbon blades on straight glass shaft and love them. If you are in a rocky place it may be worth looking at the glass blades which I hear are bomb proof.

Service is unrivaled and paddle angle/length is completely customisable.

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies I will definitely go for a shorter paddle still not sure which model. I am still drawn towards the G5 as it seems much more reasonably priced for a first White water paddle. The VE's look nice on their website but can't find anywhere in Norfolk that stock them so I can go and have a look. it's a pity manufacturers don't supply stores with demo models for potential customers to try out!

muddy_duck

Post by muddy_duck » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:38 am

Hi,

Have a look at AquaBound Shred Carbon Shaft. I bought one last year for use with a waveski, i now also use it with my Riot Boogie in the surf and on the rivers paddling a Dragorossi Pintail. It proven to be an extremely light reliable tough paddle for the money.

Escape Watersports current have them at £80

https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/eq ... aft-detail

Weight (oz): 34.5
Weight (g): 978
Construction: 1pc
Feather: 45
Shaft Material: T-700 Carbon
Blade Material: Carbon Reinforced Nylon
Blade Size (in): 7.75 x 18
Blade Surface (sq in): 117
Blade Surface (sq cm): 756

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for advice on aquabound unfortunately they only have the left-hand one at 198 cm and the right-hand one is only 192 cm which I think will be too short as I'm 5'10. Pity though as it looks really good for the money

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:03 pm

As well as the length its worth thinking about the material of the blades and the feather.
Personally I prefer 15 degrees to 0 degrees feather but thats a personal choice, when being trashed ts easy to tuck them in and keep them close to the kayak until the trashing has ended.
Although glass/carbon blades are nice Nylon blades dont seem to wear so quick.
As for length I am 5ft 8 inches and use a 190cm or 195cm for surfing which as already said is ideal for white water play. What this does allow in the surf is more body rotation without paddle catching on the wav. Also a 220cm could end up being a handful when being tossed around on the surf either the right way up or upside down :-)

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:58 pm

With regards to feather angle my original kayak paddle had a 60°feather which I didn't get on with. I have since tried my friends 45° and found I was still twisting my wrist slightly so was probably going to go for a 30° angle. Unless there any advantage to go in even lower for surfing?? Sorry to keep banging on with questions but opinions of experienced kayakers are really going to help in my final decision as unfortunately I don't have money to burn

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:04 am

I am 5'6" and have been surfing boats since 1999. I very quickly went short, very short, and now have 2 paddles. One is 175cm, the other is 168cm, both with 20 degrees of feather. I think the key thing you can see in this thread is that we all have our own personal preferences, which are unlikeley to do more than guide you. Undoubtedly your best bet, if you can, is to get along to a contest and have a look at all the different paddles people are using. If you are lucky you may even be able to try one or two that you like the look of, if you speak very nicely to the owner!

I think I'd simply counsel you thus; you are not going to get it right with your first or second paddle, so be prepared to want to change again in 12-18 months time. To that end it may be worth looking for 2nd hand paddles, and don't worry if they aren't in the best condition or if they're plus or minus 5 centimeters of your target length.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas and good waves to all!
You won't know if you don't go...

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone I've just ordered the aquabound shred carbon at 192 so hopefully will get on with it ok! I know there's better paddles out there but this should give me a good starting point to sea how I get on with the length and feather and its a good price so cheers for tip there. It seems everyone's advice is to go shorter than 2 m so hopefully 192 isn't to short and if it is it can become spare in the future. Merry Christmas and a great 2017 kayaking to you all

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Or, why not have the best of both worlds in one paddle ? Several reputable paddle makers offer split paddles that are variable in length and feather. You can also buy just a flexi length joiner to do the same to your favourite paddle.
Mike

jammar

Post by jammar » Sat May 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Celtic Paddles offer a variety of options for Surf.

Reef - formerly called the Mystik during the Lendal days. Available in both Carbon and tough plastic polymers with a multitude of options for paddle feather and length.
Fusion - originated as a play boating paddle - again available with multiple options of length.

https://www.celticpaddles.uk/surf--coas ... s-11-c.asp