Riding the waves
tenboats1

benefits of a long boat?

Post by tenboats1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:21 am

Why should I get a long boat?

Makes the most of a 'flattish' day?
Extra completion class available?
Easier to learn with??
Better option of some mini journeys/rock hopping along the coast? [for the really flat days!]?

mickeyb

Re: benefits of a long boat?

Post by mickeyb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Depends on whether you are buying it as your only boat, a competition boat, or what you want to get out of it.

There are some long boats, Ride Eclipse, Mega Banshee etc, that are longish short boats.
If its your only boat, you want good performance in all conditions, and still want it to be able to do some short touring.
These are the way forward. You can still compete in shortboat events, they can still surf super aggressively, but they work on flattish days and on huge days.

They are probably a bit more versatile than the more traditional long boats over 9ft, but offer most of the same characteristics.

If its to specifically compete in long boat, you would need one of the 9ft+ boats.
But then these can't enter the short boat events. They paddle easily. Good for touring, but I still think the long short boats are more versatile.

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Been wondering the same thing, being a bigger guy living near smaller waves, if something like the Ghost would get me a little more speed and foot room than my current Bullitt S. Or if the Banshee would get me a little more room, some speed, as well as some better ergonomics for a big guy. Feel like a circus bear riding a tricycle in the Bullitt S, and other than hitting the gym more often, wondering if an upgrade would help. Too bad there isn't a Banshee XL with a little more toe room.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi Tenboats,its been awhile since I saw a post from you, hope you are well. The short long boats like Banshee and Bullet S are dead easy to paddle and roll and work well, especially if you are not getting out as often as you would like, so are coming back to them on an irregular basis. I have a friend selling a Bullet S and I have a Banshee if you want to try it for size.

Colin

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:25 pm

How do the long boats do in medium and bigger stuff, like chest high to head high?