Carbon repair and spraying question?

Riding the waves
yabbadabba

Carbon repair and spraying question?

Post by yabbadabba » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi to all,

I have recently been lucky enough to pick up a Mega Intruder at a very good price so woohoo happy days.
On inspection there is a couple of places where there is some very small damage where the gel coat has come off and you can see the carbon weave underneath. A section of one of the rear tail vee's has had a repair which I have not further investigated it yet.
The small bits of damage look like the gel coat has been chipped off, all are less then 3mm across circles of damage.

So my question is can I use standard 2 pack epoxy as sold in local hardware shops or I do I need special gel coat to repair these sections?

Can I spray the whole kayak with gel coat once the repairs have been done to make it look nice and cover up the existing cosmetic scratches, was hoping to go for an opaque purple. I have friends who run spray shops and would spray it for free hence the question.

muddy_duck

Re: Carbon repair and spraying question?

Post by muddy_duck » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Yabba,

Have a look under the sea kayaking section in the Almanac, there is loads of info on repairing Gelcoats, Mega should be able to give you the RAL colour of the Gelcoat which you can order online from various websites. Once repaired wet colour sand it with varying grades of paper From 1000 grit up to 2000 grit, then polish the whole thing with 3m finess-it II. You won't believe how well it we it come up. I'm sure kayak1 will tell how well my Romany came out.

Peter

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 pm

You can fill chips in the gel with epoxy - any one should work reasonably. I've used Araldite for quick functional repair. But need to sandpaper any resin you're bonding to.

To spray the whole boat you'll need to sandpaper the whole boat first. Then you'll need a sprayable epoxy resin - I wouldn't use a paint as you'll be unable to bond any future repairs to it. It will add a kilo or two to the weight of the boat. I don't see why you can't use the spraying resin for chip filling as well.

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:25 am

Excellent, will try the little repairs first and see how I get on, might pass on spraying the whole thing if its going to add quite a bit of weight.
Thank you for the quick replys :-)

muddy_duck

Post by muddy_duck » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi Yabba, if you just want to make it a cosmetic waterproof repair is recommend one of the UV cured surfboard ding repair kits. No mixing, fill the small area with sun cure or one of the others. Put clear cello tape over the area to flatten it out and match the existing contours. Put boat outside until it cures, remove tape and sand back any excess with 2000 grit paper and plea to of water. Polish if required. Can you post some photos?

Cheers Peter