More fin chatter

Riding the waves
destroyallmonsters

More fin chatter

Post by destroyallmonsters » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 pm

I am trying to track down fins smaller than 3" to fit to a mega (merlin) but having no joy. Is anyone in possession of such a thing (and willing to sell) or knows of a retailer.

I have seen some on a ride boat and think I recall coming across old ads for ones made by CJB's.

I've come across these....

http://www.surfinghardware.co.uk/surfbo ... x-adapter/

Surely you can then choose from a much wider choice of styles and material of fin.

Does anyone have any experience using these? I am guessing that they have a downside as otherwise why would folk make, sell and use surf kayak/ski specific fins.

I'd appreciate any pointers.

Cheers, joel

Gary F

Re: More fin chatter

Post by Gary F » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Look no further.. These are the business. Love my 2.5s

http://www.m-prodesigns.com/#!fins--accessories/c1izx

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Yea, I would go with the M-Pro fins, they are pretty damn nice.

The problem with FCS adaptors is that most FCS fins are not really designed to be strong enough at the point of contact for launching and landing a surf kayak in the sand. A lot will even have weak points deliberately built in so the fin snaps before pulling a plug out of a board.

There are other people out there making Kayak fins (True Ames, Rainbow Fin Company, CJB, Mega etc.) but M-ProDesigns are cleaning house a bit with their fins. Very nicely made and great design.

Denzil

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 pm

The plastic ones supplied in Ride boats are a fair bit smaller than either the standard Mega ones or the CJBs. Also they are MUCH more flexible so will bend when turning and can easily be made to break away if you want. Available from Ride or direct from the manufacturer in Aus for a fraction of the price if you can be bothered to order them, pay carriage, wait for delivery, etc. http://ride-kayaks.co.uk/product/fins/

As both Denzil and Gary have said, if you want glass fins you wont go far wrong with the M-Pro ones which are a really nice, solid bit of kit, al be it at a price but (as the saying goes) you get what you pay for.

Personally I would stay away from surf board fins as they are just not tough enough as mentioned above.

destroyallmonsters

Post by destroyallmonsters » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks chaps. As ever, a magnificent source of information.

Looks like it's the m-pro ones then. However, it'll be after pay day at these prices.

They do look jolly nice though!

Joel

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm

At the moment I am running Ride plastic side fins (just because they are pink!) with a Mega centre fin.

To be honest though it is not a set up I would recommend and I will be swapping it out for a full M-Pro set soon.

Never hurts to experiment though.

Denzil

destroyallmonsters

Post by destroyallmonsters » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm

I see where yr coming from - I was also taken by the shear pastel beauty of the ride fins.

But since they'll only be seen when I'm upside down I guess it's pretty irrelevant. Hang on, now I think about it...

pienkowski123

Post by pienkowski123 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I have True Ames 2.5" fins. Beautifully smooth and controlled turns but expensive to import at current exchange rate. Have not used M-pro as comparison, Peter

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Does anyone know of another brand that fits 4WFS i-discs, or adapters that make other fins fit? I can only find them directly from 4WFS in Australia.

I bought a full set but worried about snapping anymore. I'm thinking of making my own out of ply/fibreglass!