Kayak recommendations please

Riding the waves
Lochlannach

Kayak recommendations please

Post by Lochlannach » Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 am

I've decided to bite the bullet and get a surf kayak having spent a long time messing around mainly in my playboat. I'm comfortable in the surf in either my creeker or playboat with a reliable roll. I'm interested in a hp boat.

I'm 5' 11" & 112KG (obviously more once wet gear is added ;) )

Because of this I'm immediately restricted in what I can consider :(.

I spoke to one of the guys in Mega who was coming down on the side of the banshee but I'm afraid, with wet gear, that I'll simply be too heavy and would be better off with a megatron?

Demo's aren;t likely as I've not found anyone with a large boat to try. I went to a paddlesurf Ireland demo day a while back and there was nothing that I could even fit in.

Lochlannach

Re: Kayak recommendations please

Post by Lochlannach » Mon May 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Also open to opinions on other manufacturers though my searches haven't come up with any other large boats so far.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Hey dude.

Obviously as a not exactly small fella you are a bit more limited in your choices but luckily there are some other not exactly small fellas in the sport so you are catered for.

Probably the best of the not exactly small fellas is wonder coach and top paddler Glyn Brackenbury. His weapon of choice for many years has been a Bullit 'S, the predecessor of the Banshee, and he certainly surfed that well. He surfed it all the way to the HP finals in the 2011 worlds (he got 4th). He is now surfing a Banshee and surfed it into 2nd place in the Masters HP final in 2015 straight off the van from Mega!

There are plenty of photos of him absolutely ripping in it too. I would definitely be more in favour of a Bullit 'S or Banshee over a Megatron (The Megatron just is really not all that great).

Denzil

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm

I'd second either the Banshee or Bullitt S. I'm almost 18 stone or 113.something kg, pretty much an advanced beginner, and can squeeze into a Bullitt S. Have a Megatron that I hardly ever use because where I am in the states, we seldom get waves good enough for an HP boat. The Bullitt gets out more because it can ride pretty much anything over knee high waves. Ordered the Megatron at the beginning of my surf kayak journey without doing much research.
I've been eyeing the new Banshee but that's probably another year or two out.

Lochlannach

Post by Lochlannach » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:22 pm

After some time looking online I noted that quite a few Banshee paddlers were in a similar weight bracket alright.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Banshee :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:37 pm

You wont be disappointed, whilst I am a lot lighter than you i still enjoy the Banshee, and its a beautiful looking boat, which is well put together. It will be worth the wait. This is my first year with it and I am a beginner and its very forgiving.

Colin