Nookie Surf Skirt

Riding the waves
Junior

Nookie Surf Skirt

Post by Junior »

Could someone explain how these are different from regular neoprene whitewater decks?

Could I use one on a Fluid Element or are they only for composite boats?

StoneWeasel

Re: Nookie Surf Skirt

Post by StoneWeasel »

Essentially, not a lot. The surf skirt is just an absolute deck without the latex on the underside and available in small deck (surf boat size).

Fine to use on the element.

You can also add latex to the underside post purchase if you so wish. I add latex to decks using liquid latex available from most art shops (add acrylic ink if you want it to look good).

Denzil

Junior

Post by Junior »

Oh cool, would it be fine to use on a river boat too or would the absolute deck be better for both? I can only afford one deck and need it to fit my river boat too.

I have used liquid latex before on my old deck, brilliant stuff.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

If they have the same cockpit size just get one deck to fit both. Surfskirt is fine.

Denzil

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

Never heard of applying latex to a skirt, what does it do?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

It improves the seal between the cockpit and the deck. Most more expensive decks come with it but you can add your own pretty cheaply and easily to a cheaper deck.
I also like adding a band around the inside of the body tube to improve the seal there too.

Denzil

Junior

Post by Junior »

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

Cool thanks!

Junior

Post by Junior »

Has anyone got the surf skirt in white? Just wondered how the colour holds up?

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

I have but it's still in the original packaging and not used so can't answer your question sorry. It's for sale if anyone's interested. Keyhole deck, L/XL waist.

Back Strand

Post by Back Strand »

Hi 66quinny66

How much?

Will it fit a phantom/banshee?

Cheers

Back Strand

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Back Strand wrote:Hi 66quinny66

How much?

Will it fit a phantom/banshee?

Cheers

Back Strand

I can't answer the how much question but as he has stated it is a keyhole deck I can answer the seond part and say, no, it will not fit a phantom or banshee well, it is too big. You want a riot size / small deck for those (as with most surf boats).

Denzil

Gary F

Post by Gary F »

Agree with Denzil. I was told a keyhole deck would fit my Bullitt S, but it horrendously saggy. Definitely go for foot /small deck

Back Strand

Post by Back Strand »

Yes lads

Thanks for your replies.

The nookie site suggests keyhole for phantom. I realise there maybe some crossover however, I have a small deck that I used to use with my jester and no way does it fit the phantom.

For you folk lucky enough to live close to a dealership taking the boat and trying it out is the best option, for us in the middle of nowhere our options are limited to advise and online shopping.

On another note anyone tried a "lomo" deck?

Happy padding, Back Strand.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

Sorry, haven't been back on here for a while. I can obviously answer the price bit but I don't know about it fitting the Phantom. I would be inclined to take Denzil's word for it

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Back Strand wrote:Yes lads

Thanks for your replies.

The nookie site suggests keyhole for phantom. I realise there maybe some crossover however, I have a small deck that I used to use with my jester and no way does it fit the phantom.

For you folk lucky enough to live close to a dealership taking the boat and trying it out is the best option, for us in the middle of nowhere our options are limited to advise and online shopping.

On another note anyone tried a "lomo" deck?

Happy padding, Back Strand.
You made me doubt myself (My Proton took a keyhole deck after all) so I have looked back through old photos of me an my phantom and I am definitely wearing a Peak UK Freeride deck which is definitely smalldeck / riot size. Keyhole will be baggy and prone to popping.

Not used a Lomo deck myself but have surfed with people using them, they seem pretty decent but with quite stiff neoprene so getting it on can be awkward. They may be better these days though.

Denzil

Back Strand

Post by Back Strand »

Hi all

Just to advance the topic.

Picked up a white keyhole deck from nookie...perfect fit on both the phantom and banshee...However to big for my zenith.

66guinny99 you didn't get back to me with the question of price so nookie had the cash.

Thanks for the replies.

Back Strand

Daker

Post by Daker »

Denzil,

Coming back to the DIY liquid latex, how durable do you find it and does it go sticky after a while like some 'decks do ?
Ive been meaning to try and do something with an old sticky deck which leaves a horrible sticky mess on anything it touches so may give this a try.

I also struggled to find a suitable black pigment in small quantities so does ink work well, without changing the properties of the latex ?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Daker wrote:Denzil,

Coming back to the DIY liquid latex, how durable do you find it and does it go sticky after a while like some 'decks do ?
Ive been meaning to try and do something with an old sticky deck which leaves a horrible sticky mess on anything it touches so may give this a try.

I also struggled to find a suitable black pigment in small quantities so does ink work well, without changing the properties of the latex ?
It is latex so it suffers the same issue as the normal latex you find on decks, so with time or if it gets attacked by oils or solvents it can break down and go sticky. One of my home latexed decks has done this and needs a bit of attention.

I find it no less hard wearing than the normal latex you get on decks and you can build it up to be as thick as you want (so how hard wearing it is is a bit up to you).

I always use acrylic ink to colour the latex, it acts as a little bit of a catalyst for setting off the latex so don't mix up too much at once. Other than that though, the only property of the latex it seems to effect is the colour. Don't worry that it looks grey when you apply it, it will look black when it dries.

For fixing up a deck where the latex is a sticky mess my process has been to remove as much of the sticky mess as possible (I normally use some gentle soap but sugar soap has been recommended to me so I might try that next time) al this latex is breaking down so can stop the new latex adhering properly. This is followed by abrading the surface with a bit of sand paper before applying fresh latex over the top.
I find this does not last as long as when applyed to a new deck but certainly will give an old deck a new lease of life.

If you have any questions about the process hit me up.

Denzil

Daker

Post by Daker »

Great, thanks for the quick reply.
I had a look on fleabay and there are loads available now in every conceivable colour so think I'll order some black and see how I get on.

Mind you, its WAY down the to-do list after boat repairs and the likes so no idea when it might happen ! :-O

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

Back Strand wrote:Hi all

Just to advance the topic.

Picked up a white keyhole deck from nookie...perfect fit on both the phantom and banshee...However to big for my zenith.

66guinny99 you didn't get back to me with the question of price so nookie had the cash.

Thanks for the replies.

Back Strand
That's a shame. I would've let you have it for £10 ;)

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I have a Nookie Surf deck keyhole and used it with my Banshee recently and found the deck to be very baggy across it, so the water pooled. I checked with Mega and their view is that its the correct deck. It fits well round the cockpit but as I say is baggy, so I will need to see if I can get the tube pulled up as it should have enough friction to stay up, but appears not to, anyone else have this issue?

Cheers
Colin

Gary F

Post by Gary F »

I have always disagreed with Mega as far as the deck size is concerned. The riot size deck is a very tight fit initially, but is fine after a couple of trips (and the hot water trick). No pooling, no imploding, no hassle. Tried keyhole and hated it. Far too saggy on deck section

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Hi Garry, no one make Riot size decks any more, I had a good look at a lot of sites in the hope there was old stock. I am now looking at small made keyhole decks, or an R3 which I understand is in between small and keyhole. So if anyone has a riot sized deck with large waist give me a shout please. Cheers Garry as I am glad, I am not the only one who thinks its baggy.

Colin

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Colin C wrote:Hi Garry, no one make Riot size decks any more, I had a good look at a lot of sites in the hope there was old stock. I am now looking at small made keyhole decks, or an R3 which I understand is in between small and keyhole. So if anyone has a riot sized deck with large waist give me a shout please. Cheers Garry as I am glad, I am not the only one who thinks its baggy.

Colin
Peak UK and Nookie both still make them. Nookie have always referred to them as small deck and it seams Peak have recently adopted this name too. Makes sense considering the demise of riot as it was.

Peak no longer make my beloved freeride deck but what they are calling their white water deck looks like a decent replacement.

Sod using a baggy / implosion inviting keyhole deck.

Denzil

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Thanks Denzil, I will try the small deck, the measurements mean that its going to stretch the Nookie deck considerably as the cockpit length is 78 on the Banshee, and the small deck goes up to 75. I will give it a go and see how it fits, the peak might be a better option.

Thanks
Colin

Gary F

Post by Gary F »

Trust us Mr C. It'll fit great (and will mean you won't have a mobile aquarium in your lap)

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait »

Putting on a tight deck is a good way to warm up as well :-)

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I am that weakling that used to feature in the old learn to swim adds"Meet Dave he swims like a fish", so a tight deck will certainly warm me up, and my language. I will let you know how it goes. Hope to see you on the water soon Gary.