Wheels?

Riding the waves
Just_Surf

Wheels?

Post by Just_Surf »

Okay, after doing some more investigation into my disabilities and boat transport problems, what about wheels? I've seen some SUP wheels on the net, but am not sure if I'd be able to stow them in the boat whilst surfing. Has anyone tried this? It'd be a great solution, but I'm not keen to spend that much money just to find they don't fit in the boat!

Chris
You won't know if you don't go...

surfkayaks.com

Re: Wheels?

Post by surfkayaks.com »

Hi Chris,

Where in the country are you ?

Malcolm

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf »

South Devon.

Chris

cj

Post by cj »

When I had a similar problem. Transporting a river boat. I cut down a cheap skate board it was only 15 cms. Strapped it to the end then stored it in a plastic bag in the boat when surfing. £4.

cj

Post by cj »

Ah just read your other post. Dragging a good boat down a beach. Apart from a fellow surfer helping which has got to be the no 1 solution and safety in the water. A canvas drag bag over the end of the kayak attached to the other end. Roll up and store when surfing.

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

I've always thought about a plastic skid plate for kayak touring, for moving a fully loaded boat solo over rocks or sand. Something like a thin cutting board that can be attached under the boat with a few cords clipped to the coaming, or seat, or wherever; use it to "pull" the boat, and then easily stashed in back of the seat once done. Would weigh practically nothing and no moving parts.

jet

Post by jet »

There are various wheels threads in the sea kayaking section and you'll see that size of wheel relative to the surface you are pulling a boat over is an important factor. You'll even see inflatable rollers mentioned.

Johnysmoke'ss idea of a drag plate is good for lighter boats.

An alternate would be a cordura strip with fasttex buckles. Rivet strips to it either of chopping board material or even better get some thicker UHMWPE sheet http://www.directplastics.co.uk/uhmwpe-sheet. You then have a drag plate you can roll up and that wraps around your boat in use. If you look at the bottom of some holdalls, they have the same kind of arrangement for dragging the bag around the floor.

I think the key is to stop the boat sliding out of the trolley / pad etc by making sure there is a tension band going to the front of the boat or coaming.

Justin

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf »

Thanks guys, am going to be investigating a solution over the next couple of months, mostly through trial and error(!), so will let you know what works...

Chris