Kimmeridge Bay - any good for a noob?

Riding the waves
no-no

Kimmeridge Bay - any good for a noob?

Post by no-no » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm a 2 star paddler, done a fair bit of grade 2/3 and a few surf trips with the club nothing serious really.

I live near kimmeridge now and heard it's a good beach for beginners I'm a bit worried about surfing over rock though. My roll is fine but at other beaches I've found myself scraping the bottom in places. How do you avoid that? or do the waves at kimmeridge break much further out?

Also, I'd be taking out my battered old redline, is that advisable?

yabbadabba

Re: Kimmeridge Bay - any good for a noob?

Post by yabbadabba » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Not surfed it myself but have paddled over it on a calm day.
To me it looks insanely shallow.
Surfers I know treat it with respect as there is often injury's on the reef and that's surfer who can jump off the board.
Personally I would suggest to go out with some other kayakers who surf the spot and know it well.
Also keep playing on the beaches locally, depending where you are Boscombe/Bournemouth/Highcliffe/Sandbanks/Branksome are all good sandy beach breaks when there is surf :)

pearcy

Post by pearcy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:47 am

Hi
I have kayak surfed here a bit. It's a step up from your usual beach break and with a good swell produces good surf and a relatively slow wave. Mostly friendly in the line up but if your not playing by the rules or in control, expect hastle...

Three breaks: The Bay is usually smaller and has a shallow rock seabed and gravel beach. Ledges-as the names suggests a series of rock ledges. Again shallow but you will be surfing towards a cliff and need to get off the wave in time! You don't want to swim here. The Point - never been, understand its shallower still.

My suggestion, take a friend on a small day and start in the bay.

Andy

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:10 am

Hi Andy,
Whats the best conditions for it to be working across the bay?
Never been there when swell has been working in the bay but have seen some good videos that are tempting to make me have a go :-)

pablo

Post by pablo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm

hi there
surfed there loads as a kid and then when home from uni 20 yrs ago. always seemed to need a big swell going but bit hard to extrapolate to modern times as used snipes / slalom boat and old skool surf shoe which I guess was about 3m long. that said waves in bay and broad ledge ( I think RHS looking out) tended to break quite far out anin fact in a long boat in big conditions u could get the first faces about 3/4 mile out in middle of the bay.
below tower much steeper and more typical of most breaks for short boats.
we snapped then ends off a few glass boats , but we were pretty rubbish initially. numerous swims over all the ledges and no injuries ( though I'd def wear a helmet)
hope you get out - when it works its totally awesome and really easy paddle out too
paul
pray for rain.....

Kayak Mike

Post by Kayak Mike » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Kimmeridge is good when it goes for sure,

Andy (Pearcys) description of the breaks is spot on,

With regard to conditions I wouldn't bother unless the period is >10s, if you get decent longish period swell (14-15s) as little as 1.5ft will give you a very fun wave which might be larger than expected.

Just (as always) be aware of your experience and the conditions your about to go out in, and maybe try to go out with a mate, I've seen the guys from poole harbour there a couple of times, unsure if your looking for a local CC?

Its a great spot, almost definitely the best in this area when it goes. Bournemouth can be good but can be terribly crowded. Boscombe is also worth a shout if your looking at trying to clock up more wave time with less crowds, but in my opinion the wave isn't quite as good as Bournemouth.