can you surf a Burn 2 in the sea?

Riding the waves
Questatron

can you surf a Burn 2 in the sea?

Post by Questatron »

Got a Pyranha Burn 2 for whitewater but spend a lot of time at the beach in summer. Can I surf my Burn/B2 or do I need a dagger axiom for surfing? I'm 115k, 5'11+ and a bodybuilding physique, size 10 feet. My large Burn fits like a glove by the way.

RobL

Re: can you surf a Burn 2 in the sea?

Post by RobL »

It depends on how you define "surf". My club is on the beach in Brighton and so I use a Hoss to coach/look after paddles. I find the if I'm out in any waves it is nothing like "surfing" in my proper boats. It can be fun, but on big cleaner waves the best you can hope for in a creek/river boat is to "fall with style" down the face. In the foam pile where edges are less critical paddlers can learn transferable skills and the boat will behave more similarly to a surf boat.
I'm not saying it won't be fun, or that you can't learn some wave skills ........ BUT comes back to what "surf" means.
:) Rob

Questatron

Post by Questatron »

That makes sense, thanks. Not looking for surf specific, composite kayak and also trying to keep the wife happy. Burns don't look very surfy do they? Lol

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Never tried surfing a burn but I can't imagine they'd do anything but straight line to the beach followed by a uncontrollable bongo slide wiping out everyone in it's path.

Axiom surfs pretty well for a plastic river boat.

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Rob...where in Brighton do you surf mate...I'm often at Shoreham when life/work let's me...

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

No! better with a flat hulled river boat with edges.. Axiom, Gt, Inazone, or any Riot or necky boat

RobL

Post by RobL »

@bossingit If you're Jason in a light blue marbled Bullitt XS we met the other day with my mate Chris (also in a Bullitt XS) I paddle the silver glitter Proton.
If not Jason, Pipe or Harbour or between locally, or at Martlet Kayak Club between the Pier and Marina locally.

@questatron The things that make a river boat forgiving (smaller "edges") make for a less controllable "surf" boat. So take it in the sea and have fun, but make sure your well away from anyone else as you won't have much control.
I had years of only affording one boat and did my 3* surf in an Inazone, BUT as I've got more into surf I am still trying to unlearn stuff that I needed to do in that sort of boat.
Have fun :) Rob

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Ah yes its Jason mate haha good to see you again. ..Off to Devon next week...w angled a cpl of days woo hoo haha

Questatron

Post by Questatron »

Thanks for advice guys and its exactly what I expected really. I'm looking at a second hand axiom 9.0 unless anyone here has an affordable surf specific boat going. I live in Plymouth and remember I'm a big guy and 18stone/114kg

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

As others have said, the Burn does not make fore a very controllable surf machine. You do not need something as shiny, new and expensive as an Axiom to have a more fun surf craft though. There are a lot of designs out there that surf pretty well and I would highly recommend looking at older playboats (especially Necky boats) before the introduction of rocker breaks for initiating butt bounced moves.

In my opinion, the best surf hull on a non surf specific boat belongs to the Necky Jive but a lot of the old school playboats surf really quite well.

There is a Wavesport X for sale here for £150, if you fit it a boat like this will surf just as well as an Axiom but should save you a chunk of cash.

Denzil

Strad

Post by Strad »

The dagger juice makes a good surf boat / river cross over boat and can be found for not too much money.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Strad wrote:The dagger juice makes a good surf boat / river cross over boat and can be found for not too much money.
The Juice is okay in the surf but it does have quite a steep and pronounced rocker break which does nothing good for its speed on a wave.
Good all round boat though and great river boat.

If you can get a boat with a more gradual rocker transition and good rails it should surf better and faster.

Dagger Juice

Necky Jive

See the difference in rocker profile between the juice and the Jive?
The Jive style rocker profile will be considerably quicker on a wave and is ideally the sort of shape you want to look out for.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

Other boats worth considering..Necky Zip...Most surf specific river boat in the Necky line up, Riot Booster, Dominix, Glide etc. Wavesport Forplay, Eskimo Xeno, Pyranha Prozone, Dagger Outlaw, Super ego etc. as well as all the others that have been mentioned...

Questatron

Post by Questatron »

Most of the boats I'm finding here or eBay are too small/not buoyant enough for me. Sat in a wave sport big ez and pretty much got stuck. I couldn't get out and that was on dry land. 115kilos of muscle and yes I'm on a very strict diet before anyone calls me fat, lol.

Questatron

Post by Questatron »

Any ideas on the surfing capability (in the sea) of a Dagger GT max anyone?

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

Better than a Burn....

Strad

Post by Strad »

Questatron wrote:Any ideas on the surfing capability (in the sea) of a Dagger GT max anyone?
Definitely better than a burn, not as good as some of the other boats mentioned in the thread though. All in all the GTs are pretty good jack of all trade boats.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

The big mans old style playboat that should fit the bill is the Wavesport Score, Great in the surf, loose and not a bad river runner, but probably getting a bit rare now...same design as the Waveport Forplay, XXX but bigger!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

There is a Necky Jive on ebay for £200 at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kayak-Necky-J ... 418f331666

Denzil

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

You can surf the Burn in the sea - but you need to trim it correctly (i.e. make it slightly stern heavy) otherwise it will just broach broach broach..... I've had lots of fun surfing a Jackson SuperFun.

Here's a picture of me surfing a Mk 3 Burn with the standard bow-heavy trim....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

mole

Post by mole »

Another vote for the Jive. At 115KG you should really look for the big long jive, 8'10 is it?
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

mole wrote:Another vote for the Jive. At 115KG you should really look for the big long jive, 8'10 is it?
Jive 8'10" indeed. Great boat.

I took one down the grand canyon a few years ago and wish I had never sold it.

Denzil