beaches in devon

Riding the waves
bossingit

beaches in devon

Post by bossingit »

I'm hoping to get down to Devon next week guys for a weekend...I'm no Olympic surfer...iv get a bullet s...just wanted to know any tips for beaches with a comfortable break for someone at intermediate level...ideas?

SDG

Re: beaches in devon

Post by SDG »

Not done much in Devon but Bigbury / Bantham was pretty awesome.

BOOOF

Post by BOOOF »

Bigbury/Bantham is in Devon south Coast if you want north coast then saunton or westward ho probably best depends on winds and swell, at the moment could be breezy so maybe look for somewhere a bit sheltered eyeball surfcheck is a good website for north coast

have fun !!!!

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Brill chaps thanks...I'll look em up!

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW »

snigvan

Post by snigvan »

I have an annual pilgrimage to Croyde, Devon in October. We rent a chalet at Ruda holiday park (the posh side of the road) between 6 of us for a long weekend & its a barging off season but they also have statics, not as flash but a little cheaper.
We have Croyde, Putsborough & Saunton on hand. Saunton is a lovely long boarder style wave with a useful rip on the right to get out. Croyde is steeper & faster depending on the size of the waves & tide state. Putts' has a selection of peaks so is quite an all round beach to be at depending on the tide. Parking is a bit pricey.
Each beach can have shelter depending on the wind direction. If These are blown out & really big there are point breaks over boulders at Lynmouth & Porlock weir. Steeper faster waves but fun & predictable if they are small.
Wherever you end up talk to the locals who know the breaks so you don't get in a pickle in rips or on rocks.
The Thatch is a FAB pub for food beer & music.
Have fun

Aggieboy

Post by Aggieboy »

Hi, first post.

I live in the South Hams and longboard and waveski here. Tbh honest if you're not used to surfing then I don't think this is the w/e to come, if you have a choice. After these strong winds I expect the N coast to be large and choppy. The S coast a bit smaller and choppy.

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Ok guys thanks for the tips ...

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

aggie...think you're spot on mate...ive pushed it on a weekend hopefully itll improve a little..ta

Aggieboy

Post by Aggieboy »

bossingit wrote:aggie...think you're spot on mate...ive pushed it on a weekend hopefully itll improve a little..ta
Good you were able to do that. As I sit looking out across the valley where I live just a few miles from Bantham, I can guarantee you've made the right decision:))

If you do come S then as suggested Bantham or Bigbury and right next to them is Challaborough, which can have a nice wave on it's day. Depending on where you are staying then both Bigbury and Chall' are an easy paddle from Bantham which saves you having to go around the river road that dissects them. Bantham car park is also free this time of year. Have fun.

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Aggie I'm stopping in n Devon mate near s.molton...but hopefully here for 4 days so if it's good in the south maybe ill spend a day down that way mate!

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

If your staying in South molton then bantham is an epic drive. Go to North devon.