Playboating at sea - Does anyone carry Flares?

Riding the waves
grayspectre

Playboating at sea - Does anyone carry Flares?

Post by grayspectre » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:15 am

Hi all,

After stories of friends being washed into the inland sea at Stanley in 6ft+ swell (so they say...!), and myself surfing in remote spots on the Northern Irish coast,the Bitches, and also in Cornwall in the winter, it got me thinking.

If everything went wrong, and my surfing buddy and I fell in, in a rip current, and it was all looking a bit grim... i'd have very little way of rectifying the situation, or calling for help, with no VHF radio (or licence or training...) no flares, and no phone (which, depending on signal may not be useful anyway).

So, does anybody carry flares when they go on the "inland" (3 miles or so) sections of sea?

If you do, are you not worried that a particularly good blunt or spanking by the waves would set them off?

Just curious....

(x-posted to WW forum also.)

johnysmoke

Re: Playboating at sea - Does anyone carry Flares?

Post by johnysmoke » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 am

A plb might be your best bet.

guy

Post by guy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:32 pm

when sea kayaking I take two parachute flares, a smoke flare, a vhf and a PLB
when surfing at my local river bar I usually take a vhf especially if I'm alone.
You don't "need" a licence if your life is in danger.
for 50 quid you at least get to tell someone you are getting swept out to sea;
as long as you keep it in your lifejacket pocket, not nice and safe in a dry bag behind your seat

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:35 am

I always carry a full range of safety kit - even 500m out to sea is a long swim never mind 3 miles!

A few months ago near me a kite surfer was not far off shore when he lost his kit and was swept out to sea and died - his mates raised the alarm and rescue boats were on site very quickly but they could not find him.

A PLB at least would be an idea.
Mal

Pav

Post by Pav » Sat May 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Interested in PLBs but don't really understand what they offer compared to flares.
Do they alert rescue services or are they just a location finding aid for them after an incident is reported?

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Sun May 03, 2015 3:41 am

Alerts a company of an emergency and reports your GPS location to be sent along to the closest first responders. Got one after I had a kid to appease the wife.

grayspectre

Post by grayspectre » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Yes - like you, surfing on the NI coast (where there really aren't as many people watching the ocean as in Cornwall, particularly in the winter!) I bought myself a three-shot handheld flare system (Pains Wessex Compact Distress Signal - 3 shot flare gun), which fits nicely on the foam block between my legs.
Not so sure how I feel about having pyrotechnics quite so close to my gentleman's vegetables... but the wife seems to think I'm safer for it.

I'm also investigating a VHF radio for if/when things go *really* sour... some of the rips on the North Coast don't half have a bit of pull to them!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:07 pm

My safety kit when it comes to surfing is somewhat lacking, as in, I don't have any.

I did think about getting something after a friend took a very nasty swim at Mawgan Porth and was going around with the rip for over 40 mins.
I wear very tight fitting kit when surfing with no pockets in my impact vest so any kit I carry would only be of use while I am still able to get to my boat.

I have considered picking up something like this but never seem to get around to actually getting one.

Silly when I consider how much safety kit I take on the river.

Denzil

Chaos19810

Post by Chaos19810 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 pm

When I'm out on the bitches or any other tidal race I do,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk