A massive thank you To Malcolm at Mega

Riding the waves
StoneWeasel

A massive thank you To Malcolm at Mega

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I won't go in to a name and shame game here (there has been plenty of that over on Facebook) but my Phantom was broken (proper smashed, far more damage than I have ever managed) when I lent it to another paddler for a heat at an international comp.

The boat insurance fell through due to it only being insured if I was paddling it.
I saw the guy was selling a surf boat so thought maybe a swap may be a good resolution as I would end up with a boat of approximately the same value as my boat before it was smashed (although I think mine was actually in better condition and a more desirable model) and he gets the boat he smashed to repair and sell as he wishes.

He did not exactly see eye to eye on this and more or less told me to sod off and I would get nothing (not even help towards the repair cost). This obviously left me more than a little annoyed.

In the midst of all my annoyance Malcolm Pearcey of Mega Surf Kayaks fame goes and does This (Facebook link I am afraid)

For those not Facebook inclined this is what he said.
Mega Surf Kayaks wrote:8.35 am, Dec 9th 2009, A life changing moment.
Fortunately we generally never know when things are going to happen that can have such a dramatic effect on us and those around us,
Its 4 yrs now since i spent 2 weeks in intensive care following a life saving operation in Barnstable, a whole lot of people looked after me on that day , and in the following days ,weeks , months , and continue to today. I feel very fortunate to have family and friends that care and are watching my back, so that i at least try and behave myself now, there have been some positives , i have saved in theory nearly £22,000 in fags that i haven't bought. which if i started today would take me 202 days to smoke non stop ( scary statistic) .
We in the paddling world do tend to look out for each other when the chips are down.
I remember reading these in the hospital

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... lm+pearcey

which was a great comfort, and am very thankful all those that came to visit which for sure speeded my recovery, which is also why it gets me to see this }

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canoesa ... tif_t=like

If someone offers to help you and they then end up out of pocket due to your actions isn't it reasonable to come up with some sort of recompense.

It seems somehow appropriate that i can support and thank today one of the the guys that was very definitely there for me and my family those 4 years ago ,and continues to be a great mate to this day, Thanks Denzil
followed by these images of a new boat being made in my colours

To say I am touched would be the understatement of the year. We have a lovely friendly community where we go out of our way to help each other when possible but this goes way above and beyond anything reasonable and is way off into the region of unreasonably generous.

I have experienced an awful lot of kindness and good will in my 20 years of paddling* but this far surpasses anything I have seen or even heard of in my time as a paddler.

As such I would just like to take this opportunity to shout thank you as loudly and as widely as I can.

Denzil

*speaking of which anyone need some large palm latex soled wetsuit sock things courtesy of AS Watersports

richp

Re: A massive thank you To Malcolm at Mega

Post by richp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm

thanks for sharing that with us - from reading your input into the surf area of the forum i would say it is well deserved.
ps shame about the colour scheme !

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Wow, that is really cool and gets my respect for sure :-)

Some people would have rubbed their hands together at the thought of a potential customer.

Nice one Malcolm.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny!

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:02 pm

You'll need to watch you don't scratch it now..........

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Jim Tait wrote:You'll need to watch you don't scratch it now..........
Marc Woolward is probably already running a sweepstake on how long it will be before I break it :S

Denzil

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Loving the barf-o-matic colour scheme!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 am

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:Loving the barf-o-matic colour scheme!
Barbie pink, baby blue and black has become my colour scheme for surf boats, although there is more black on this one than the last one.

Last time I ordered a boat (the phantom that got smashed) I sent Malcolm several potential colour schemes / patterns to see which would be doable and which were unrealistic. All these patterns and colour schemes were ones I liked and were potential candidates for my boat.
I went for this with black pin striping on the blue lines.

What Malcolm has thoughtfully done for this boat is he has managed to unearth those designs and selected one of my favourites.
Before I have even twigged the fact that I am getting a free boat it has already been started in a colour scheme and pattern that I love.
That ring on the hull though (which looks bloody gorgeous in my opinion) is all Malcolm's design, not mine. I just commented on a boat that he had done this with, how good I thought it looked and next thing I know he has gone and done it on my boat too.

Big love to Malc from me, this has really touched me.

Strad

Post by Strad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 am

It's a gorgeous boat for sure, and to me it says something very positive about both you and Malcolm.

Now I want to see some pics of this baby in it's proper environment...
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Lovely looking boat and a nice story to start the new year with .All the best for 2014.

Paul

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Awesome looking boat!

chillipepper

Post by chillipepper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 pm

love it, properly eye-watering :-)

mikehh

Post by mikehh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:44 pm

I paddle a wave ski and was down in Bude during the autumn and knowing Maga was based somewhere in the area thought I'd track the place down. I wasn't in the immediate market for buying a kayak, just interested.
Malcolm who I'd never met before took time out from what he was doing to show me around and explain various aspects of Mega kayak design and share some historic reminiscences from the early days of paddle surfing . I came away thinking what a nice helpful guy. Its great that that sort of approach still exists

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Yup, that's Malcolm to a tee. A true gent

sparky

Post by sparky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Fantastic looking boat - nice work Malcolm !!!

Look forward to seeing some photos of here in action Denzil :-)

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Hard to believe that was 3 1/2 years ago

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 pm

surfkayaks.com wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm
Hard to believe that was 3 1/2 years ago
I was welling up a bit reading it through again.

I am still so touched by this it is untrue.

Denzil