What's the difference?

Post by planet » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

What's the difference. . . . . . . .

Kayak Surfing - or

Surf Kayaking?

Kayaks'N'Beer

Re: What's the difference?

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 pm

I describe what I do as kayak surfing because I do it in something that closely resembles a sea kayak and it happens in surf. I think of surf kayaking as being in a boat that's built for the sole purpose of being in surf.

Dunno if that's consensus or not.

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Fri May 03, 2013 9:11 am

Im agreed with the above.
Having fun in the surf in Sea boats, play boats Creekers or anything that resembles a floating object with a kayak paddle most likely kayak surfing, id say the wave taking you were it wants and you sitting there with a massive smile not worrying about much more than staying upright and maybe trying the odd flat spin in the pile after the wave has broken.
If your doing it properly,think big carves switch backs Holding the shoulder of the wave (possibly with fins on the boat) is where i would call the line at surf kayaks and surf kayaking. Your Dictating where you go on the wave and have the speed from the hull of your boat to do this.
Now Everyone please feel free to Disagree and slate this to throw it strait out
Cheers
Rich.

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski » Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 am

Doesn't matter what you are on, kayak, board, bodyboard - anyone can catch a wave. Doesn't mean it's surfing.
As far as I am concerned, surfing is knowing what wave, where to catch it, riding it with some degree of earned ability along an open face, not just going straight. Surfing is an act of what you do,and it is what you call what you are doing, when it has become more important than what you are using.

SDG

Post by SDG » Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

The surf is a location - so surf kayaking is kayaking in the surf. Kayak surfing is the act of surfing in a kayak. For a good definition of surfing see mr-the-skis post. You can go kayaking anywhere - just because you happen to be doing it in the surf does not mean you are surfing.

Strange that I have just had this same debate on a local clubs facebook page this week, which is full of playboaters, sea paddlers and canoeists all "how-very-dare-you"ing me for pointing out that charging straight back to the beach on a stern rudder is not surfing, and that neither is abandoning the wave face to do cartwheels in the whitewater. That would be kayaking in the surf, not kayak surfing.

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 am

I paddle a surf kayak, so I suppose that's what I do, or what I'd like to do, go surf kayaking.

Otherwise I'd call it longboat "surfing"... I suppose it doesn't matter much so long as I'm getting wet and having fun...

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 pm

SDG wrote:The surf is a location - so surf kayaking is kayaking in the surf. Kayak surfing is the act of surfing in a kayak. For a good definition of surfing see mr-the-skis post. You can go kayaking anywhere - just because you happen to be doing it in the surf does not mean you are surfing.

Strange that I have just had this same debate on a local clubs facebook page this week, which is full of playboaters, sea paddlers and canoeists all "how-very-dare-you"ing me for pointing out that charging straight back to the beach on a stern rudder is not surfing, and that neither is abandoning the wave face to do cartwheels in the whitewater. That would be kayaking in the surf, not kayak surfing.
Lets compare surfing to football

Brazil are a classy side, they always look in control, passing it across the field, cutting it back etc. Getting the picture ?

If a lower league football team's style of play is to punt the ball straight up the field and run after it, are they or are they not still playing football ?

For me the answer to the above is - yes they are.

The difference being the skill of the individuals concerned. Its the same with kayak surfing/surf kayaking. Most kayakers using the stern rudder to get a free ride towards the beach would probably love to have the skills and the equipment to go shredding waves and there is only one place to learn. As long as they observe the rules of surfing then live and let live and if the kayakers concerned want to call it surfing then so be it.

Another analogy - Is a teenager running around on a moped/scooter a biker ? Nah , thats taking things too far !

SDG

Post by SDG » Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 pm

coldwind wrote:Most kayakers using the stern rudder to get a free ride towards the beach
....are missing the point that in surfing we are not trying to get back to the beach.....

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Personally its just wordplay.

Surfing - Getting on the shoulder and gliding effortlessly along the wave face and adding in the odd move that looks good, doesnt matter if its on an inflatable crocodile, kayak, surfboard etc.

I call myself a surf kayaker but I use a playboat and very rarely hold a green wave on the wave face, most of the time I am just the muppet getting trashed and having fun :-)