Here she is, my 'new' P&H Surfer MkII...

Riding the waves
Da Cat

Here she is, my 'new' P&H Surfer MkII...

Post by Da Cat »

I picked this boat up yesterday, after buying it on ebay. It wasn't quite as tidy as the photos suggested, hence the stickers have been removed (they were horribly faded and cracked), but an afternoon with the 400 - 1500 grit papers, polishing compound, silicone polish and some sunshine has produced pretty good results I think! Only managed to do the tail and this side of the front of it, so still some work to do, but once the external cleaning is done I'll hoover out the inside (too many sticks, leaves etc) and get on with outfitting. Foam bulkhead footrest, supported by the aluminum bar (thanks Denzil!), foam backrest and some buoyancy bags front and rear I think. The last thing will be to modify the fin box to accept modern longboard fins; it came with two original 9" fins, which look like a nightmare to get off the beach with, and have a template that'll make for quite drawn out turns, so I plan to use a more upright 6" fin to make her a little looser I think.

Overall I'm pretty pleased!

DC

GlennT

Re: Here she is, my 'new' P&H Surfer MkII...

Post by GlennT »

Very nice!

mgmark1

Post by mgmark1 »

Good Find, Looks Really Nice :D

storm

Post by storm »

Looks ready for this years heritage surf comp at Putsbourgh in August10/11 more details soon
Steve

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

storm wrote:Looks ready for this years heritage surf comp at Putsbourgh in August10/11 more details soon
Steve
My collection of suitable craft is now up to five with a few more possibly coming and my shoulder should be fine for me to enter this year, I am already looking forward to it!

Denzil

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Could be up for that, look forward to more details :-D

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Hmmm... Mildly peeved to discover that the fin box can't be modified to take more modern fins, which means I'm going to have to remove it and glass in a new one. On the plus side it does mean I can put in a 10" box that will still take the original fins (if I ever decide I want to use them, though getting off the beach with a 9" plastic anchor under your boat can't be easy?!?), and will be able to allow a larger range of movement whilst accepting modern longboard fins (giving me far greater choice of fins). The best bit though, is that I'll be able to install the new box slightly nearer to the seat, meaning I can have the fin more directly under my backside, therefore significantly improving the turning characteristics over the old boat, fin for fin. Of course, with a new fin box providing access to modern fins, the performance increases should be two-fold!!! The downside is that I have to get my respirator, gloves, grinder, resin etc out, and that wasn't really something I wanted to do. Still, gives me the opportunity to do some more tidying up on the underside of the boat, and may as well go to town with the foam on the inside now that I have to remove the styrofoam from the rear of the boat to cut away the old fin box. Will be picking up the foam and a new spraydeck on Wednesday, so will be getting the grinder out Thursday...

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Da Cat wrote:Hmmm... Mildly peeved to discover that the fin box can't be modified to take more modern fins, which means I'm going to have to remove it and glass in a new one. On the plus side it does mean I can put in a 10" box that will still take the original fins (if I ever decide I want to use them, though getting off the beach with a 9" plastic anchor under your boat can't be easy?!?), and will be able to allow a larger range of movement whilst accepting modern longboard fins (giving me far greater choice of fins). The best bit though, is that I'll be able to install the new box slightly nearer to the seat, meaning I can have the fin more directly under my backside, therefore significantly improving the turning characteristics over the old boat, fin for fin. Of course, with a new fin box providing access to modern fins, the performance increases should be two-fold!!! The downside is that I have to get my respirator, gloves, grinder, resin etc out, and that wasn't really something I wanted to do. Still, gives me the opportunity to do some more tidying up on the underside of the boat, and may as well go to town with the foam on the inside now that I have to remove the styrofoam from the rear of the boat to cut away the old fin box. Will be picking up the foam and a new spraydeck on Wednesday, so will be getting the grinder out Thursday...
Just a thought but would it not be easier to adapt new fins to fit the old box rather than performing surgery on the boat? It is certainly something I considered for my mkII as I figured you could just take out the front pin, fill the horizontal hole and drill a new vertical one. This is assuming that you have the weird old fin box with two encased fin nuts like the one found in my MkII (it looks like the MkIII has the same weird fin box and same massive fin as standard).

Denzil

Joseph:)

Post by Joseph:) »

I'm interested to know how the footrest works, there is one of these kicking around my club that I may commandeer, but it has no footrest and it's a big space to get foam in there..
Joe

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Da Cat wrote:...replacing the fin box
I agree with Denzil. You’re better off putting the effort in to modifying the fin. With 30 plus year old fibreglass, the bonding to new resin isn’t going to be great, and with the stresses on the fin you run the risk of the new fibreglass delaminating. Also with a 9” fin you’re probably better cutting it down (in half?) – you’ll never get off the beach with a 9” and with a smaller fin you stand a better chance of turning. Use the Surfer II for what it is. If you’re looking for modern performance get a modern boat.

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

StoneWeasel wrote:...Mk III
I didn’t think there ever was a Mk III. Interest evaporated when the Surf Ski 79 came onto the market. There's one on eBay at the moment, badged as a Mk III if I can read it correctly, but it looks like a copy of a Mk II.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surf-Kayak-/2 ... 3a80955c15

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

JohnK wrote:If you’re looking for modern performance get a modern boat.
Thanks John, but I already have one, I'm just not a one-boat-quiver kind of guy! Have you seen the Jaguar E-types that have had the chassis' fully rebuilt to improve the ride, because people want to drive an E-type without getting concussion? I'd like to surf my Surfer without getting a hernia from turning it, and to surf it for what it is I'd have to leave the 9" fin alone too, wouldn't I? Anyhow, I trust my glassing skills more than my foil shaping skills, and so would get a better result from using modern fins and boxes. It's not something I'll be doing lightly, and I already tried modifying the box to take the newer fins as my preferred option, but modifying the newer fins would be very difficult indeed, as they have an overhang either at the front OR rear, not both (as on the original Surfer fin). I can't think why there would be a delamination risk either, providing that my prep work is good? I have retrofitted fin boxes before, albeit to more modern boats, but this will be a foam reinforced install, so should have more than enough strength to cope (even without the foam I'd have thought).

Glad this inspired some input though, thanks for all your thoughts guys :-)

DC

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

JohnK wrote:
StoneWeasel wrote:...Mk III
I didn’t think there ever was a Mk III. Interest evaporated when the Surf Ski 79 came onto the market. There's one on eBay at the moment, badged as a Mk III if I can read it correctly, but it looks like a copy of a Mk II.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surf-Kayak-/2 ... 3a80955c15
I'll buy it (if no bugger out bids me anyway) and compare it to my beat up MkII and play spot the difference. The sticker looks right but without the big gap of the MkII and I had previously heard rumours of a MkIII but nothing concrete so I felt the need to add this to the collection in case.

Denzil

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Da Cat wrote:...and to surf it for what it is I'd have to leave the 9" fin alone too, wouldn't I?
Nooooo you'd never have used a 9" fin. Put in a Thruster.

Glad to hear you've got a selection of boats.

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

I kind of agree with the 'keeping it real' perspective, and if I'd bought the boat as a collector I'd have done a restoration plain and simple, but I do want to be able to use it, and enjoy using it, so for me that means making it work the way I want. It'll never be a HP boat, but I should be able to enjoy some sweet summer glides in it, and maybe one or two better days at my local point when it's bigger (that'll depend entirely on how well she does on the smaller stuff though!). I also have a selection of centre fins ranging from 3" to 6", and wouldn't want to modify all of them to fit the old box, so it makes sense to stick a new box in I guess (well, to me anyway!). It's funny just how excited I am to get her out on the water and start experimenting with the fins to find what works and what doesn't!!!

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW »

I was fairly sure that there was not Mk3 but just found this image below on another thread. It would appear to have been called Surfer 79

I remember the 'Stripper' and think there was one called the 'Ripper' as well.

Image copied from another thread on this forum

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

PaddyW wrote:I was fairly sure that there was not Mk3 but just found this image below on another thread. It would appear to have been called Surfer 79

I remember the 'Stripper' and think there was one called the 'Ripper' as well.

Image copied from another thread on this forum

Looking at that I think what I had heard rumoured as the MkIII would indeed be in fact the 79 which means what I am currently bidding for on ebay is almost certainly another MkII just one that is oddly labelled (and in better condition than my current one). I would love to get my hands on a stripper (oooh er missus) as they are a bit legendary but seemingly much rarer than the good old MkII Surfer.

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

I'm sure there was a Stripper on ebay back around New Year time..?

Anyhow, today I've been prepping to install the new fin box in my Surfer. Took the grinder to the new box to ensure good adhesion, then cut away the old box and opened the hole up so that the new one can sit quite a bit further forward (it's also longer than the old one to give me more adjustability). The fin is mounted on a plastic plate, using two fin screws, which is then hot glued into place on the hull, holding the fin box in position while it's glassed. Tomorrow will see lashings of epoxy and glass applied to the new box and the hole, and by tomorrow evening she should be just one or two small steps away from getting wet, IF there are any waves about...

DC

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Slow but steady today; got the new fin box glassed in and started building a new backrest. Over the weekend I'll need to leak test it (by filling the boat with water and seeing if any comes out where it shouldn't!), fill any leaks I find, and may try and get the backrest tweaked a bit more. Once I've done any filling around the fin box I can set about tidying it up on the outside; you can see there was some resin bleed, but nothing at all bad. Frustratingly found that I have to order a custom made spray deck for this boat, as nothing off-the-peg fits it, which means at least 4 weeks before she can hit the water, but that's not a bad thing as it means I can take my time about the repairs and outfitting.

DC

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Today has consisted of little jobs; fixing the leak, putting the backrest foam in, grinding out the old footrests, and then re-testing the water-tightness whilst simultaneously cleaning all the glass dust out of the boat! Next on the list is installing some kind of foot rests that are suitable to my size, i.e MUCH closer to the seat!!!

DC

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Today I got started on the semi-bulkhead foot brace. I made a template from card, which I then transferred onto marine ply and cut out with the jigsaw. This was then given an all over coat of epoxy, then glassed front and back. Ideally I would have used a 4oz woven cloth, but only had some 6oz CSM to hand, so that's what went on! Tomorrow, when it's all cured, I'll give it a good wash to remove any amine from the surface, then will key up both sides of the radiused edges. The bulkhead will then be held in place with a couple of blobs of hot glue, which will hold it firmly enough for me to be able to fillet and tape both sides, front and back of the joints. This will give a nice strong bulkhead to support the solid foam foot rest, and, with some sections removed from the foam before fitting, water will still be able to flow from the nose to the cockpit, and vice-versa.

Once this is installed it's just some minor tidying up jobs, then wait for the custom spray deck to arrive and hit the water, if there's any waves..!

DC

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke »

Cool project, thank you for sharing!

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

johnysmoke wrote:Cool project, thank you for sharing!
No worries!

So, here's the new bulkhead to support my foot rest when it's built. Unquestionably the strongest part of the whole boat, being made of sandwiched marine ply encased in epoxy/glass, held in place with some silica/epoxy filler and kevlar/diolin tape. All in all it should be bombproof! All that's left is to sculpt the foam bulkhead to rest my feet on, then carve the foam backrest to the right shape, and lastly take the old yellow seam off the hull and polish it all up; Job done! :-D

DC

Elkhorn

Post by Elkhorn »

Very nice !! I purchased one in 1974, and had it shipped to Oregon, USA all for $100.
I still have it, and the spraydeck is in remarkably good condition :)

Da Cat

Post by Da Cat »

Well I've been waiting all this time for a custom spray deck to be made and delivered, and it FINALLY turned up today! Just need some waves so I can take it out for a surf now...