Two fins or three?

Riding the waves
The Shiner

Two fins or three?

Post by The Shiner »

Going out off the Witterings tomorrow, small 2' waves predicted, which should be fine for me to try and spend some more time in the boat.

So my question is, previously I have surfed my Bullitt Xs with two fins, but was thinking of adding the centre fin just to see what happens?

So what will happen? Will it just make the boat harder to turn??
Or should I just stick with the two?

Cheers

Rich

Geebee

Re: Two fins or three?

Post by Geebee »

Definitely try it. You should find that the boat feels significantly stiffer, but you can generate more drive (push your bum into the seat) from your turns. Don't put it too far back in the box, or the boat won't feel right at all. Have a look here www.surfkayakskills.com/fins.php

Have fun
Glyn

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Geebee wrote:Definitely try it. You should find that the boat feels significantly stiffer, but you can generate more drive (push your bum into the seat) from your turns. Don't put it too far back in the box, or the boat won't feel right at all. Have a look here http://www.surfkayakskills.com/fins.php

Have fun
Glyn
Thanks Glyn, I tried three fins today, it was good!
For the first half of the session, I was struggling with my turns. But then I remembered what you wrote, tried it, and it made such a difference! Thanks.
(got turned over in knee deep water and had to wet exit, good timing really as I was getting cold)

Cant wait to go again now!

Rich

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

where else do you surf shiner?if you're on the south coast theres always shoreham...

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

bossingit wrote:where else do you surf shiner?if you're on the south coast theres always shoreham...
Never been there? (driven past it loads of times)
Only been out a few times, but I usually keep an eye on Bracklesham and the Witterings because they're local (ish)

This is what I got up to on Sunday....

It was a great morning for me, I learnt a few things about the boats handling and shifting my body weight around, oh and using my arse in the turns! haha.

Geebee

Post by Geebee »

Looking great!

Pleased it helped, you'll be smashing it off the top in no time!

Glyn

bossingit

Post by bossingit »

Good clip mate,off to shoreham tues or wed night if you fancy a meet up early eve,jase

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Geebee wrote:Looking great!

Pleased it helped, you'll be smashing it off the top in no time!

Glyn
Cheers Glyn. Yeah one step at a time, lol.
bossingit wrote:Good clip mate,off to shoreham tues or wed night if you fancy a meet up early eve,jase
Thanks for the offer Jase, but I have a really busy week and am already in the "brown stuff" with her indoors for filling the next two weekend with work and paddling! (Ooops!)
Hopefully get down that way soon though.

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

A third fin in the middle will give you much more drive, especially on a bigger boat. This is handy at the Wits as it never seems to get steep, remaining baggy. The third will give you more drive and speed through your turns rather than sliding, so you will be able to make bottom turns better/faster and make sections. Twins can be good though on the small days where sliding the tail is more fun due to lack of size.

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Jonny-the-ski wrote:A third fin in the middle will give you much more drive, especially on a bigger boat. This is handy at the Wits as it never seems to get steep, remaining baggy. The third will give you more drive and speed through your turns rather than sliding, so you will be able to make bottom turns better/faster and make sections. Twins can be good though on the small days where sliding the tail is more fun due to lack of size.
Thanks. That makes it very clear.

Rich

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

The Shiner wrote: This is what I got up to on Sunday....

Hi The Shiner, good to see you're having fun. I don't know if you're looking for any feedback? I'm not sure what's going on with your right paddle at 1:17, 1:36, 2:08, 2:59 and so on, are you trying to get off the wave or just supporting. Try a low brace or low brace turn. If you're coming off the wave then whilst you still have some forward motion put more effort into your (low brace) turn, the more effort the more you rotate your upper body to where you want to go. Either way, forget you ever learnt the high brace.

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Thanks JohnK, feedback is good!
It's one of reasons I took the camera out, I read about it on the surf kayak skills website (filming yourself to see what you doing).

It was only my second time out, and to start off I was really rigid, but then I started to relax and use my body a bit more.
Messed about with shifting my weight around, rotating my upper body rather than just sticking the paddle out.

I'm trying to get some coaching from one of my peers, but conditions aren't constant down here (and a lot of the time, if they are, I'm bloody working! Lol).

Rich