Roll technique for Mega surf on top

Riding the waves
Pedro75

Roll technique for Mega surf on top

Post by Pedro75 »

Can anyone advise on a good roll technique for a mega surf on top? I’m used to sea kayak rolling and have become reliant on laying back to finish a roll. With the surf on top being a cross between a hp boat and waveski it has a hump in the stern that stops me laying back. I can’t even roll it with a pawlata. I’m guessing some kind of forward finish is needed?
Pedro75

Re: Roll technique for Mega surf on top

Post by Pedro75 »

Looks like the surfers have finally bailed from this forum. Shame.
Pav

Post by Pav »

I had a quick step into wave ski from surf kayak and had to adapt to a storm roll. Basically a high brace.
Back in surf kayak now and it’s either forward or reverse screw roll depending where I find my self. Hope that helps.
Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

Thanks Pav - nice to know there’s someone else on here! I actually managed to roll it yesterday after hip flicking off someone else’s bow a couple of times which must have loosened me up.
Jamessmith0901

Post by Jamessmith0901 »

Have you tried a C-to-C roll technique? It's a more dynamic and forward finish that might work well with the hump in your mega surf. Give it a try and see if it works for you!
StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Sorry for not being around sooner.

Yea, the surf on top rolls like a surf boat and therefore does not want you hanging around one the back deck.

There are a few different techniques that work well though.

I am always a fan of the reverse screw roll for whitewater and surf kayaks. It is a bit of an odd technique though so if it is not already in your bag of tricks it is probably not a great starting place.
Some people favour the back deck roll for surf boats but much the same applies as with the reverse screw roll. It is probably a bit of an easier roll to master though.

What might be the best starting point for adapting the roll you are used to and comfortable with, would be too add a forward sweep, sitting up, at the end of your roll when you get to the end of your reverse sweep. You can actually finish your reverse sweep early with the added support of the front sweep and you will probably find you start doing that after a little while.

Good luck with it. They are wired beasts, these surf kayak things, but oh so awesome when you start to get used to their quirks.
Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

Cheers Denzil, I’ll give it a go. Since managing to roll it once I’ve been trying to stay in it and attempt a roll every time I get flipped. Trouble is I can’t stay in it! Somehow it always seems to eject me. I’ve adjusted the thigh strap mounts and foot blocks to try and get more fixed in the boat. Might need a bit more tweaking. It’s probably psychological though. Need to train myself to grip the boat and start setting up as I go over. Loving this boat. It’s a blast. Went to watergate on Wednesday it was 3’ and glassy and hardly anyone there. Managed a few diagonal runs and carved a few turns so making progress 🙂
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

StoneWeasel wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:20 pm
What might be the best starting point for adapting the roll you are used to and comfortable with, would be too add a forward sweep, sitting up, at the end of your roll when you get to the end of your reverse sweep. You can actually finish your reverse sweep early with the added support of the front sweep and you will probably find you start doing that after a little while.
OT from a surf point of view - but this is the way my roll has gone in a sea kayak. I've found it's become a lot more reliable in rough water as a result and would definitely recommend it. It finishes with the paddler sitting upright with the paddle blade engaged ready to put in a power stroke immediately, and 'paddle first ask questions later' seems to be a really good tactic for staying upright after successfully rolling up in lumpy conditions.
StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Pedro75 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:39 am
...Trouble is I can’t stay in it! Somehow it always seems to eject me. I’ve adjusted the thigh strap mounts and foot blocks to try and get more fixed in the boat. Might need a bit more tweaking. It’s probably psychological though. Need to train myself to grip the boat and start setting up as I go over.
So you will probably find a lot of this is due to muscle memory and automatic reacions. In your sea kayak, you push your knees outward to brace / lock yourself into your kayak. Now you suddenly need to be doing the exact opposite and pulling your knees together to brace / hold yourself in your kayak.

The change is very weird at first but stick with it and it will come quite naturally.

Awesome to hear you are making progress and enjoying the surf. The enjoyment is the main aim at the end of the day, everything else is just a bonus.

Hit me up for a surf sometime (although, I am avoiding watergat direction on days the A30 is closed).

Denzil
Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

Cheers Denzil, I think you’re right about the difference in locking into the boat. Hopefully get there soon. Might force a few flips on waves to get a feel for it. Would be good to have a surf sometime. Maybe over Christmas?
StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Pedro75 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:36 am
Would be good to have a surf sometime. Maybe over Christmas?
Sounds good to me dude. I'll DM you my nummber

Return to “Surf Kayaking”