Double Dutch Sea Screamer

Riding the waves
SHGB

Double Dutch Sea Screamer

Post by SHGB »

Anyone any experience with Double Dutch sea screamers? The flat hull 10’6 IC surf kayak version, not the rounded hull 11’6 river screamer. How do they compare to modern finless IC surf kayaks? Rare so wouldn’t be surprised if few people have tried one.

lennart

Re: Double Dutch Sea Screamer

Post by lennart »

you can find the designer Niel Baxter on fb. Sure he can tell all about it. there have been a number of different versions truw the decades :) I am quite sure i have seen some at our Dutch coast a longtime ago. htere was a bloke of 90 kg plus paddling it and he had altered it so ithad more volume in the back :0. hope it helps , if it is cheap go for it and enjoy. if not get in line with hobson and buy something modern.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

lennart wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:10 am
you can find the designer Niel Baxter on fb. Sure he can tell all about it. there have been a number of different versions truw the decades :) I am quite sure i have seen some at our Dutch coast a longtime ago. htere was a bloke of 90 kg plus paddling it and he had altered it so ithad more volume in the back :0. hope it helps , if it is cheap go for it and enjoy. if not get in line with hobson and buy something modern.
Cheers, it’s an older design of surf kayak for sure. I did speak to Jock Young who designed it with Neil Baxter, but hard for them not be a little biased - said he wouldn’t surf anything else nor would any of the people he knows that have one.

Daker

Post by Daker »

If you go to any of the Scottish competitions there will always be 2 or 3 Screamers in attendance.

Folk who have them seem to love them and they are capable of floating a decent weight (if you know Jock) and yet there are also a couple of far lighter female paddlers who get on equally well with them..

I've never paddled one myself but given Neil, Jock etc will happily take them out in some very big conditions, as well as being able to catch the smallest of waves, they seem to be a hugely capable and versatile boat. (I'll caveat that with in the right hands like anything.)

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

Daker wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:08 pm
If you go to any of the Scottish competitions there will always be 2 or 3 Screamers in attendance.

Folk who have them seem to love them and they are capable of floating a decent weight (if you know Jock) and yet there are also a couple of far lighter female paddlers who get on equally well with them..

I've never paddled one myself but given Neil, Jock etc will happily take them out in some very big conditions, as well as being able to catch the smallest of waves, they seem to be a hugely capable and versatile boat. (I'll caveat that with in the right hands like anything.)
Cheers - I took a punt and bought it. It’s a bit different in shape and size at 10’6. Spoke to Neil Baxter who was the other shaper for it and Tracy Sherringham too who pretty much said the same as you, handles all sizes of waves but really good on big waves. Build quality is very very good. I picked up a mark 18 which Neil and jock said was the best though others did follow. It’s not for comps, just for pleasure.

lennart

Post by lennart »

Is it paddling well?
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

lennart wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:35 am
Is it paddling well?
No surf here on East coast Scotland! But I did try it out on flat water - rolls easier than banshee and mojo I’ve tried, rolls very easily. A little more tippy and at 16.5 stone the tail is under but Jock said he surfs his at over 17 stone still, and he cut the thigh braces back so I fit better. Just need some surf now!