What do you wear when surf kayaking???

Riding the waves
SpearoT

What do you wear when surf kayaking???

Post by SpearoT » Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey guys,

There seems to be a fair few different opinions out but not too much good discussion from what I find via Google, so I thought I'd throw it out and see what the masses seem to use.

I've just got an old second hand IC which I'm gunning to get wet and sorted the rest of my gear but Im a bit stumped on this so I'd appreciate any product recommendations or combinations!

Originally I was looking at a Typhoon multisport 4 full drysuit, then I saw a lot of people seem to just be in surf wetsuits, then some were in long john wetsuit pants with a crag top so yeahh Im pretty much clueless right now lol.

So what does everyone else use?

Thanks!

MaverickvRS

Re: What do you wear when surf kayaking???

Post by MaverickvRS » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 am

Bearing in mind that you may fall out - whatever you're happy swimming in the sea in... It depends on the water temp, air temp, time of year etc...

Kayaking gets a lot less fun the colder you get (in my extensive research)

John K

Post by John K » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Drysuit in the winter. Neoprene shorts and a dry cag when it warms up a bit. Thermal layers depending on conditions.

DJM

Post by DJM » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

A Nookie Ti vest and neoprene legs or board shorts depending for 9 months of the year, sometimes the cag option for Spring and Autumn chilly winds.
A dry cag or drysuit with thermals for the other 3 winter months depending on how soft I'm feeling. A skull cap and 5mm wetsuit boots too when it's really cold. Wish I didn't but hate wearing gloves when paddling so I just grin and bear that one in Winter
I tend to produce a lot of heat surfing but when I get cold I get out

Dave

warren

Post by warren » Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I have some 3mm thermal long johns for sale on inland/white water.
i wore them in the summer and winter with just a gag over the top in summer and a thermal long sleeved top in winter.
i surfed on the north sea and never over heated in summer and never got cold in the winter unless it was rely bitter.
I dont kayak any more due to an accident at work which knackred my back.
Have a look at my post on inland/white water.

Warren.

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 am

3/4/5 full wetsuit for most of the year.....I Still swim more than I'd like to....
But i think I'll try for a 3/2 for the summer months this year for the 2 or 3 warm days :-D

Jim

RobL

Post by RobL » Fri May 19, 2017 7:54 am

I think a lot depends on what you mean by surfing. For me this is quite an active experience.
Also the local breaks I go to, my vehicle is quite nearby when I get out. If I am cold when I get out it's only a few minutes to dry clothes.
Also I am in Brighton, so always a warmer than Jim!!
I wear a 2mm long sleeved neoprene top and long legged bottoms through the winter. I sometimes wear a rashy under it or a Reed fleece if it's really cold.
Summer board shorts and short sleeved neoprene top.

SpearoT

Post by SpearoT » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Hey thanks guys.

So its seems many people don't wear waterproof for wetsuit trousers.

From what I can read between the lines, its seems if you are expected to go for a few swims (like I will most likely do as a newb!), then wear something suitable for getting dunked, and if you are most likely to stay in your boat then you can be more relaxed with your options - does that seem about right?

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Its always a balance of dressing for immersion and being comfortable. I use a 3/4/5 wetsuit in summer as I am in Scotland, and in the Spring and Autumn I wear a full hood and rash vest, as well as Poggies. In winter its a dry suit, I tend not to use it all year as they are expensive and a wetsuit works well for me, and reduces the wear on the dry suit.

Colin

SpearoT

Post by SpearoT » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

okay thanks guys, appreciated :)

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Sun May 21, 2017 5:05 pm

It was warm enough today for a shorty wetsuit :-)

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 am

4/3 wetsuit with boots, gloves and hood in winter.
Begin to loose the extras (except boots) as it gets warmer.
Nookie Ti long sleeve top and Nookie wetsuit trousers when it gets warm.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

Most of my surfing is in the summer, and it'll be either a shorty wetsuit or if it's really warm just neoprene shorts. For colder conditions I have a Peak dry cagdeck which I'll wear over one or two layers of fleeces combined with neoprene shorts.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Wed May 31, 2017 6:21 pm

I surf in Cornwall all year round.
In cold conditions its dry trousers and a dry cag with a thermal has layer underneath.
During the summer it's a dry can, board shorts and rash vest.
If messing about and planning on maybe wet exiting and larking about in the water then occasionally I will use a wetsuit.

I prefer a dry cag over a wetsuit as I find a wetsuit allows water to seep into the kayak, but you can have a sponge in the kayak and just sponge any water out as needed.

One tip if going for a wetsuit is to get a good stretchy one so you do feel restricted around the shoulders when paddling.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm

I surf all year round and take an occasional involuntary dip in the sea.

depending on conditions I wear anything from dry cag and dry trousers with base and mid layer thermals (and can be warm surfing with snow on the ground) down to a Nookie ti-vest and ir guide shorts if it is warmer.

The only things that are always there are my helmet and my floatation (I use a 50N float impact vest at the moment but am thinking of changing to a sandyline BA).

Denzil

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 am

Why are you thinking of changing from the impact vest? I am only asking out of interest, I already have a Sandiline BA and am quite happy with it, but I always thought impact vests looked quite useful for surfing.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

davebrads wrote:Why are you thinking of changing from the impact vest? I am only asking out of interest, I already have a Sandiline BA and am quite happy with it, but I always thought impact vests looked quite useful for surfing.
I tried a friends one and found it slightly less restrictive than my current impact vest and it didn't seem to catch the water any more than the vest.

It was not exactly worlds apart but I will be needing to replace my tired Jobe Impact Alpha soon and finding a good CE certified, non restrictive Impact Vest is a pain in the arse so the Sandyline BA jumps to the front of the queue.

Denzil

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Re what to wear, Im another one from Scotland and prefer the close-fitting of a wetsuit to the loose material of a cag but I also windsurf so it suits me to have a selection of wetsuits to fit all possible conditions.

3/2 shortie, 3/2 shorm arm, 4/3 full suit, 5/3 full suit, 6/5/3 semi dry suit, the later of which I will supplement with a 2mm vest in the depth of winter !!

As Yabba mentions, a 'suit will be more likely to let a bit of water in thru the 'deck as there is not the double overlay you get with a cag, however I find even wearing a very basic rashie over the top helps to minimise this and has the added benefit of protecting the suit from rubbing.

Re PFDs, I looked a couple of years ago for an impact vest that was CE rated, including some that Denzil suggested, but could not find any that worked for me.
I found that most, being aimed at waterskiing or kiteboarding, were too long in the body when sat in a boat. nstead I went for a Peak Racer which is fine and not too expensive.