Post your suspected sink spots here!

Downtime deviants
Jones Chris

Post your suspected sink spots here!

Post by Jones Chris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

This last year or two has seen the opening of a few new seems all over the UK. Telfords Trove, Otters Pocket and Beeston Weir all spring to mind. Most of these were spotted by squirt boaters/ paddlers and either knowledge passed to squirt boaters and investigated by squirt boaters.

So how many times have you walked, driven, rode or even flown over somewhere you've thought, "I wonder if that will work"? Seeing as how my new years resolution is to find a summer, warm water seem ten minutes from my house capable of giving up minute plus rides (well, I can hope) I figured it might be a good idea to have a thread for suspected spots you just don't have the time or inclination to try so that others can check it out and post results.

Please try to be as accurate as possible with regards to location and at what levels you suspect it might go at so that we can check it with the best chance of finding somewhere.

Jones Chris

Re: Post your suspected sink spots here!

Post by Jones Chris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:27 pm

I'll kick it off with Trent Lock on, unsurprisingly, the Trent.

I'm normally there at levels above 3.0m but a recent trip at a much lower level left me thinking that it could be a good spot at a summer level, the weir has a block in the middle that I suspect may cause a convergence in the middle of the river with good eddy access river right. There is also the shoot river left to check out and at middle levels the second wave river right behind the float boat play wave might offer up good subbing off the wave.

adam_d

Post by adam_d » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 am

Possibly a classic... but low force on the Tees...? anyone ever been there with a sinker??

On Sunday I took my Perception Fox for a blast down the upper (yes it was too low!) but when we got to low force the seam between the boof drop and the 'choss' drop in the pool was one of the best pirouette / tailey spots I have ever been in in my slalom boat... very dizzy!

Any ideas whats down there?!? ...not sure I have the balls...

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 pm

adam_d wrote:Possibly a classic... but low force on the Tees...? anyone ever been there with a sinker??

On Sunday I took my Perception Fox for a blast down the upper (yes it was too low!) but when we got to low force the seam between the boof drop and the 'choss' drop in the pool was one of the best pirouette / tailey spots I have ever been in in my slalom boat... very dizzy!

Any ideas whats down there?!? ...not sure I have the balls...
Now this would make a great bit for a video! Pop up from the realm then straight over the falls!

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:45 pm

I paddled the Clough the other day and was reminded what a good seam forms at its confluence with the Rawthey. Needs both to be medium levels but that's not too rare.
Also has anyone ever explored the Hindburn/Wenning confluence?

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Probably one for the locals, but the back of the bridge in Barny Castle strikes me as having potential every time I paddle past in decent levels.