Repairs

Downtime deviants
Pyro

Repairs

Post by Pyro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 am

Right, bit of a 'how to' thread if I may.

I bought a secondhand Shred from a mate a while back and I love it - I'm not exactly very good in it, but it's fun to play around with in the pool and a couple of nicer outdoors places. However, there's a few running repairs need doing and I'm wondering about the best way of doing 'em. I thought I'd appeal to the collective wisdom of the forum just in case I was just going to bodge it completely!

First off, the front edge of the cockpit rim is coming away from the hull, I think the result of a mate pulling on it trying to squeeze himself in. My thought is to drill the ends of the crack to reduce the spread, then patch inside and out with glass mat and epoxy. It looks like there's been a wrap of insulating tape and possibly silicon sealant around under the lip, so I'm wondering if a previous owner knew what was happening but didn't fix it, it'll need cleaned up either way. Any thoughts on best ways to clean it back and patch it gratefully received!

Secondly the ends have taken a battering, don't think they're leaking but they're starting to look pretty tatty, must learn to paddle at deeper spots next time. I can in-fill with chopped strand mat and epoxy, with maybe some colourant in, but can anyone think of a better way of doing it?

Cheers!

Pyro
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Darekish

Re: Repairs

Post by Darekish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am

Pyro wrote:
First off, the front edge of the cockpit rim is coming away from the hull, I think the result of a mate pulling on it trying to squeeze himself in. My thought is to drill the ends of the crack to reduce the spread, then patch inside and out with glass mat and epoxy. It looks like there's been a wrap of insulating tape and possibly silicon sealant around under the lip, so I'm wondering if a previous owner knew what was happening but didn't fix it, it'll need cleaned up either way. Any thoughts on best ways to clean it back and patch it gratefully received!

Secondly the ends have taken a battering, don't think they're leaking but they're starting to look pretty tatty, must learn to paddle at deeper spots next time. I can in-fill with chopped strand mat and epoxy, with maybe some colourant in, but can anyone think of a better way of doing it?
For your cockpit rim problem you seem to have the right idea however if it was me i think i would re-enforce the join right around the cockpit. The best way to do this is with a woven fiberglass (ideally Kevlar) tape which you then glass in place and can then be lightly sanded and covered with a coloured gel coat to make it look nice. Make sure to add a styrene wax mix to your top coat of either gel coat or resin so you get a decent non tacky finish. Getting it to 'shine' will require some effort in sanding / buffing using increasingly fine grades of wet and dry sandpaper then a polishing compound. I think this works better than using a film to cover the top coat. You can use this type of tape reinforcement inside and out but i wouldn’t bother with gel coat inside.

For the ends i think you have the right idea. You can also add some "glass bubbles" as a thickener / strengthener as this makes your resin mix a bit more like a filler. Again i think i would finish by wrapping a length of tape around the join at each end and perhaps 6-10 inches along the sides. Try and go with a tape the same dimensions as your existing external seam for neatness. if the existing seam is coated with gel coat then remove this where the new tape will go and clean / key it before glassing then you can gel coat the new seam reinforcement once its dry with the same colour for extra protection and a nice finish, this should also help hide the overlap.

In terms of epoxy, one of the best bits of advice i got was to use the same resin type the boat was built with as different resins expand and flex at different rates so changing to a different resin like epoxy may actually create a potential future weak point. Most older boats will have a polyester resin base.

Finaly in the end i got all my materials and a LOT of good advice from east cost fiberglass http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/ they were really hepfull and delviery was next day.

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Cheers for the response!

For the cockpit repair, taping right round might not be a bad idea. Difficult to describe but it's the vertical portion of the rim/lip that's pulling away, there's no damage onto the hull itself but it's a 4-5" horizontal crack. I think drilling, a horizontal tape on the outside and series of strips on the inside should do it. I hadn't thought about the resin type but that's a good point, I'll look into it. I won't be gel coating as it literally is just the lip, making it look nice isn't high on my list of priorities - making it not leak is what I'm going for - plus being under the lip would make it a pain in the jacksy to shine up.

Fair point on taping the ends as well. They are gelcoated, so like you say it might be a strip back and rebuild, but any thoughts on fillers to use? May just be a case of gelcoat filler plus glass bubbles or chopped fibre to build it back up, let that go off, then tape and coat over the top to finish it off.

Cheers for the advice anyway, nice summer project to play with at least!
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Darekish

Post by Darekish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

In terms of fillers for the ends I would just use resin mixed with the glass bubbles as this gives a fairly fine filler that's easy to work with, chopped fiber will give a coarser filler. I would do the following:

1) prep area removing old lose fiber and creating a key then clean with ascertone.
2) fill with resin mixed with chopped glass fiber or glass bubbles depending on how deep the fill needs to be.
3) remove old gelcoat on seem around the nose and sand for a key then retape with a length of new Kevlar tape using resin to attach
4) mask up as necessary then finish with gelcoat with styrene and wax mix then polish

thefryers

Post by thefryers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Guys,

Sorry to re-open an old thread, but does anyone know what type of resin was used in the manufacture of Downtime Hellbenders - epoxy or polyester?

Just bought a secondhand boat that needs a little love ...

Cheers,

Graeme

mole

Post by mole » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 am

I think! Not polyester. Might depend on the construction as to vinylester or epoxy but epoxy should work AFAIK.

Neill
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

thefryers

Post by thefryers » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks Neill