Spray deck problems

Downtime deviants
mozz_uk

Spray deck problems

Post by mozz_uk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:18 pm

The water is just about warming up here in Norway, so I've cracked out the squirt boat for a couple of after work sessions. The problem I'm having is that after 3 or 4 minutes on the water, I'm having to get out and empty my boat. The boat is definitely water tight, and the deck I have is near enough new (playboater riot size work deck). The deck is a good fit, so the only way I can see for the water to be getting in is between the deck and the cockpit rim. I've never experienced this with a float boat, I imagine because plastic is smooth and curved so that there is better contact with the deck. But with the angular rim of my squirt boat, there doesn't seem to be a good seal.

I am relatively new to squirt boating, so my questions are:

Is this a common problem?

How can I fix it? Will simply lining the cockpit rim with duct tape do it? Cover it in surf wax? Line the rim with foam?

Chris.

Jones Chris

Re: Spray deck problems

Post by Jones Chris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:37 am

Are you wearing a cag? Is it leaking through that and down your back?

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 am

Doh! Just read your other post, a Riot size deck and a slalom deck are too big for most squirt boats. peak UK do a proper squirt sized deck, go with that you wont be disappointed.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am

What's the boat? It's pretty rare for a Riot deck to seal well on a composite squirt. As Chris says, PeakUK is a good bet, or I've always bought my separates direct from Phoenix of Nottingham which work well too. Make sure you get a drylip and latex on the inside too.

mozz_uk

Post by mozz_uk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for all of the advice, sorry I've only just got round to replying, it's been a busy summer!

The boat is a valley prodigy.

Apparently peak no longer make squirt decks. But I'm waiting to hear back from Phoenix.

Thanks again