Beeston Weir

Downtime deviants
Jones Chris

Beeston Weir

Post by Jones Chris » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

A few years ago I and a few others tried out Beeston Weir on the Trent at low summer levels. It was OK, a very stable seem that was giving up mega long head down with an occasional short head under.

Yesterday, after James Reeves had been walking his dogs and had seen the seem we tried it again at a high summer level of 1.67 on the Colwick gauge........

Awesome! The weir is an L shape with water flowing over the outside edges of the L. The longside then flows round a pool and back into the main flow where it forms the main seem. About 15m upstream of the main seem is a smaller upper seem which feeds into the main squeeze. 6-8s head under mysteries were easy and there was very little travel. You could, however light loo/ flying fish out of the mystery and land straight back into another mystery just in time for the main event....

Entry from the eddy into a mystery with the flow sees an easy head under that can take you deep, I dont mind admitting that this early in the season my appetite was lacking and I hit the up button a few times. Even if the big suck doesnt happen the seem gives up easy ten second head unders and is smooth and mellow. Plenty of space means you can stay down as long as you like and its an easy paddle back into the large eddy. At this level the seem is better than anything at HPP and beats Pots hands down. Summer levels need to be re-checked and I suspect that winter higher water levels may well be epic and perhaps a little scary! At 1.67 I think it is probably one of the best seems in the country. As levels are checked out I will add information to the bottom of this post if it allows or in others below.

There is a large beach and plenty of parking on a large grassland miles from anyone. A pub is within fifteen minutes walk. If levels are right this would be an awesome sight for a gathering with beach barbeque and camping.

Good times are here!

Jones Chris

Beeston Weir levels

Post by Jones Chris » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

1.67 - Colwick gauge - Upper seem - stable 6-8sec head under
Lower seem - smooth 10sec plus head under potential to go deep!

pheners

Re: Beeston Weir

Post by pheners » Thu May 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi, I have looked at this myself and am curious as to what you can do in a kayak on this. I'm not familiar with the terms you use, ( light loo/ flying fish out of the mystery and land straight back into another mystery). Please don't think i'm being ignorant as what I am trying to find out is if I can use this weir for a fun kayaking session when the inevitable happens (hpp washes out). Also what do you do on the seem, do you surf, 360 etc?
Cheers. Ben.

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Pheners,

You've stumbled into the Squirt boat section of the forums so unless you are a paid up loony some of the terms may well be abit strange.

Mystery move - boat and rider are completely under the water and using the currents to move round while under there.
Loop - a roll performed completely under water.
Light loop - a roll started underwater but the broke breaks the surface at some point during it.
Flying fish - an exit move to a mystery - a roll is started just beneath the surface and at some point in the roll breaks completely free of the water and into the air.

I dont think that Beeston is any good for float boating, the wave didnt seem very usable. Its possible something may appear at some level - if it does I'll let you know.

Chris

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 am

Fantastic news! Looking forward to hearing more from the spot - once we've got a clear idea of levels I'm going to come for a visit.

Chris - has anyone paddled there in a more traditionally cut boat than your depth charger? I'm guessing it's powered-up enough to get Bigfoots and things working?

jamesw2

Post by jamesw2 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 am

Try contacting the paddlers at Nottingham uni and Nottingham Trent uni.
When I was at Nottingham uni many years ago in the late 70s/early 80s it was a regular Wednesday afternoon trip as it was only a 30 min. paddle up from the boathouse.
That was long before the days of squirt boats but it was still good fun doing pirouettes and front loops in the low volume 4m competition slalom boats of the day.
We also used to use it for practising fine boat control in wwrs by surfing back and forth across the series of irregular mushy standing waves that stretched across the river.

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

[quote="Pete C.]

Chris - has anyone paddled there in a more traditionally cut boat than your depth charger? I'm guessing it's powered-up enough to get Bigfoots and things working?[/quote]

James can get his Funk down and sustained! I think that says it all but yeah easily enough power for anything, even an Enigma!

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 am

Well - sounds like the 'improvements' to HPP may not have the effect on local squirt boating we'd been anticipating!

pheners

Post by pheners » Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am

hi,

thanks for takin the time to reply and explain to me what it is you do. I have now looked it up on you tube. i didn't realise there was such a thing as this, you guys are mad!!!!!! But looks really cool at same time. I just might come up to watch this in action some time looks awesome and thanks for opening my eyes to yet another arm to the amazing sport that is w/w kayaking.
CHEERS. BEN

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Ben,

No problem if you ever fancied a go I am sure we can find you a boat!

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:02 pm

1.5 on the Cilwick guage.

Upper seem - 6-8 secs head under but harder work.
Lower seem - 8sec plus still possible. Suck not taking you as deep but can be worked down happily.

Unfortunately the sun bought out a few locals who while no problems and even fed my dogs did take away some of the atmosphere. Also, it appears that gates into the site are routinely locked which would put paid to overnight van camping by the seem. :-(

However..... Information has been gleened which may facilitate the aquisition of a key and copious alcoholic beveridges! Will keep you all updated!

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm

1.16 on the Colwick gauge.

Slightly better than the top pool at HPP, definitely more consistent. 2-3sec head under. Only the upper spot working. Good fun for working on different entries in to mysteries, current favourite is a one arm bandit entry, and for exit moves. Much nicer place to paddle than HPP especially if the weather is nice. Going to order a winter squirt cag and very seriously considering cancelling my season ticket to HPP!

Although I probably wouldn't go at this level if the weather is rubbish what are the chances of that happening? Surely rubbish weather = rain?

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:16 pm

1.35 on the Colwick gauge.

Both upper and lower squeezes working but not powered up particularly. 5-6 sec head unders from both spots. Not strong enough to link the two.

Best run of the day - one armed bandit entry to 4 sec head under with flying fish exit straight down into a 3sec head under on the second seem with black attack exit! Loving it!!

Cancelling HPP membership on Monday!!!!

Mysterymove

Post by Mysterymove » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 am

Unfortunately I missed Saturdays session but did turn up to say hello!
Fishing season started on Sunday, talking with the guys on the bank (who were setting up on Saturday to start fishing at 12:01am Sunday morning!) it's apparently quite a popular fishing spot. They were more than happy for us to boat there, but said it's worth checking which spot they're fishing before getting on so we don't get tangled in the lines! The top seam is far enough away not to bother anyone. A big mystery on the second could end up right in the main fishing spot?

But hey the guys fishing were super friendly, Chris even spread they're bait for them (uhh?)...

Mysterymove

Post by Mysterymove » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 am

1.1 on the gauge
Hmmm OK but probably better going to the ditch!
Sustained eye level mysteries - not much power and struggle to find depth.

On a plus you can go watch stupid people dive head first off the weir!

Mysterymove

Post by Mysterymove » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Flood i.e low downstream (not back up that well) & plenty of water coming over the weir river came up 70cm in 24 hrs!

Can get sustained head under entering anywhere on the eddy line
Entry by the weir sil above the top incoming eddy current
- Long very deep mysteries minimal downstream travel can easily roam across the eddy in-current to hit the main eddy line, Its not as deep as we thought up there, bouncing off the bottom i guess its black coffee colour on the Trent depth gauge!
Entry on the top eddy in-coming current
- Long mysteries, didn't get to spend long enough there to figure out where everything was happening. But consistent head under with considerable downstream travel varying depths dependent on which side of the eddy line you roamed. Manged to link both seams together entering about half way between the two seams, giving maybe 10 second ride (sorry hit the up button so definitely longer rides to be had- see below)
The main event
Unfortunately with the lower downstream level was washing straight out of the pool about 5m down from the convergence, but still powerful enough for consistent head under rides

Paddled Solo and never felt intimidated, it's a super friendly seam. Even with vapor rising off the river at dusk with thunder rolling over head. In short it's only going to get better when the river comes up off base level! Right off to practice holding my breath...