What boat for beginner?

Downtime deviants
floriano

What boat for beginner?

Post by floriano » Sun May 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Hello,

I am wondering what would be the best squirt boat model for me. I am mostly interested in flatwater squirtboating. Currently I do own a chopped down bigfoot (got it second hand quite cheap). With me in the boat the cockpit rim is just above the water surface with the rest of the boat being in the water. However, due to the length (2.7m) I can only throw ends with a lot of force (before chopping it down the seam of the boat was just on water level and throwing ends was impossible for me).

What I want is a boat that is comfortable enough for a 30 minutes session (my chopped down bigfoot merely allows 10 mins..) that allows me to throw ends smoothly without a lot of effort. Also, I want to be able to do the party trick and zero-to-hero (i can do the latter with my playboat).

Any advice and offers of suitable second hand boats (80ish kg, 76cm = 30" inseam) would be highly appreciated. I guess the problem with the second hand boat is that I am based in Germany.

floriano

Jones Chris

Re: What boat for beginner?

Post by Jones Chris » Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 am

Second hand Asylum or a brand new big dog Karma. Shortish boats that with a decent cut will enable all tricks to be thrown with ease.

More mystery centric boats like the shred, Kor or bigfoot can do it but need a good chop. If money is a limitation you could always rechop your bigfoot with a shred cut.

Chris

floriano

Post by floriano » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

How long are the Asylum boats approximately? What about the Angst boats (they seem to be one of the shortest boats out there)?

I have already chopped down my bigfoot... whilst being very uncomfortable I still can not throw it around with ease... What does "shred cut" exactly mean?

Thanks for your reply

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 pm

A Shred cut is a cut that removes the roundness from the front of a bigfoot and makes it more pointy thus taking the volume out of the very ends.

Angsts are great boats - if you can find them.
asylums are just a little over eight foot long depending on the cut.

Another boat Id forgotten is the Hellbender, good flatwater trick boat but not so good for mysteries. Similar size to an Asylum and brilliant on surf. Theres plenty of them knocking about.

A final thought is maybe your technique needs a little work? Squirt boats need a very different technique to a float boat to do pretty much anything. Post a video and we can have a look if you want.

floriano

Post by floriano » Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 am

Jones Chris wrote:A Shred cut is a cut that removes the roundness from the front of a bigfoot and makes it more pointy thus taking the volume out of the very ends.
So instead of removing volume between deck and hull I would just shorten the front and replace the round nose with a triangular shape?
Jones Chris wrote: A final thought is maybe your technique needs a little work? Squirt boats need a very different technique to a float boat to do pretty much anything. Post a video and we can have a look if you want.
My technique is certainly not perfect but I expect that I should be able to get to a stern stall position without the need of a lot of power. I will record my next session and post it here..

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 am

floriano wrote: So instead of removing volume between deck and hull I would just shorten the front and replace the round nose with a triangular shape
I think so, I'm not 100% sure you would need to do some research.
floriano wrote: My technique is certainly not perfect but I expect that I should be able to get to a stern stall position without the need of a lot of power. I will record my next session and post it here..
Cant hurt, you'd be amazed at how many people try using float boat technique to muscle a squirt boat through when due to the speed of response a more continuous power stroke held for longer is needed.

floriano

Post by floriano » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm

I have recorded my session today: http://vimeo.com/67506399

As you can see I can barely get my stern out of the water during cartwheeling, also the angle is very low...

Sorry for the poor quality, I need to get a new cam soon...

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 am

Ok, lets start at the beginning.

The cut on your boat is not a bad one at all, there is no need to re-cut it what so ever.

The two most obvious things that come to mind from this video is that you seem to be constantly looking at your bow to see how high you are getting and the angle your putting on the boat as you go round virtually gaurantees a low angle cartwheel. Neither of these will help you get vertical.

Fortunately they can both be helped by focusing on one thing! When your cartwheeling all the "force" comes from your core muscles not your arms, to ensure we use these we exagerate our trunk rotation reaching for the stroke as early as we can. To facilitate this we rotate our head and shoulders so that we look with our eyes and lead with our head. Basically you need to rotate eyes, head and shoulders round as far as you can before putting your stroke in. If you do this properly I gaurantee that the amount of edge you put into the cartwheel will change for the better. You can think about it if you wish but its more important to get the pre-rotation going, the edge should occur naturally.

Try again and concentrate on this, video it and compare, if you wanna put it back on here we'll have another look.

Chris

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am

Great points from Chris - you'll sometimes hear it called 'looking for future water'.

Two more things I found really useful in the long boats - both practice drills of their own rather than more things to concentrate on in your cartwheels:

1. get comfortable in both your 'stations' - your bow station and your stern station. These are the moments of stability when you're on end and can set up for the next move: at the slowest it can be a complete stall, but it can also be the split-second between ends when you're cartwheeling, or screwing around or whatever. So to get started finding your stations, practice getting into a bow stall (which you can do by plowing the front) and then flick onto the stern from there. And the same with the stern - squirt the stern up and then flick round onto the bow. You'll get a good sense of timing.

2. practice bow screws - they're a really good way to sharpen up your edge control. To do this, practice screwing your bow underwater with sweep strokes until you're vertical and then past vertical - there's loads of info on this one in Squirt Boating and Beyond.