ainsworth cranked carbon paddle

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
snuggle_bunny

ainsworth cranked carbon paddle

Post by snuggle_bunny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if anyone has one or tried one and what they're like to use. Any feedback appreciated
http://www.ainsworthpaddles.co.uk/Kayak ... onRTM.html

Modelmakerman

Re: ainsworth cranked carbon paddle

Post by Modelmakerman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:22 pm

+1

Also interested in hearing feedback. Seems like a good price for what looks like a really nice set of paddles. Id also be interested in a comparison between the River blades and the Creek blades, Im assuming its a similar comparison to a Sherpa vs Powerhouse? I think I need a larger blade size than my Robson Greens but I'm a little worried about all the horror stories I keep hearing from people getting injuries from large blades like the Powerhouse?

Sorry Snuggle_bunny not trying to hijack your thread, just interested in peoples views of these paddles too.

snuggle_bunny

Post by snuggle_bunny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 pm

one of the lads in my club has a set of straight ainsworth carbon paddles and let me have a few minutes in our local swimming pool with them. really nice set of powerful paddles on par with the opposition but never got chance to use them in anger. not as well known a make as others but 1st impression was very good. deffo going to treat myself to a set-either straight shaft or cranked.

BigCavD

Post by BigCavD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 am

I'm researching these at the moment trying to find a nice set of blades at a nice price. Any updates?
Also "I keep hearing from people getting injuries from large blades like the Powerhouse?"
I reckon that the people who are getting injured probably don't know their own strength or are trying too hard.
If you stress any part of your body you will get an injury. If you are moving up a blade size you need to let your arms get used to it or you are going to give yourself issues that's why it says in almost every description of powerhouses "for well conditioned paddlers".

CLAY

Post by CLAY » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Had a pair of the surf ones last year (nicked in the Alps). I had carbon shaft cranked shaft and nylon blades. Bomber construction, powerful in the stroke and great shedding at the end. They were really heavy, but it didn't bother me much to start with, then I just got used to it. Nylon is flexible, but not like others such as the TNP Rapa. Overall would have got another pair with fibreglass blades but they decided they weren't gonna make carbon shafts for a few months so I got VEs instead.

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi. I have Ainsworth Creek paddles 205cm 30 deg feather nylon on aluminium shaft and my golly they are hard to use.
massive blades and the volume of water they move due to shape is great for creaking, rolling and bracing but as for paddling like a mad man I just can't get momentum. I'm 6.4" and a strong paddler and i struggle. my mate VE paddles I can move really fast, just at 197 are too short. Ainsworth give the choice with less cost of paddle.
I spoke to Craig at Ainsworth who developed them and Im currently awaiting the news of the new redeveloped cranked carbon shafts they have been doing. A bit bit of a delay as they initially thought mid December.
I'm going to be emailing him some time next week for a heads up as no doubt a few others will be doing also
I'm going for the river blade cranked shaft, full carbon. the ally shafts are a little heavy.
oh. as for injuries.
Wrist strain is one I got at first and I've adapted although anything that requires fast paddling is risking injury again.
whilst I'm no expert. I'm guessing the creek blade and werners powerhouse are probably great for creaking and simply hammering down stream where the flow of water is your friend its like having two dinner trays on the end of your shaft. and the smaller river or surf blades are for best of both worlds IMO

Return to “Products and Media”