Transporting 2 small sit on top kayaks

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
Cornwallkayaker

Transporting 2 small sit on top kayaks

Post by Cornwallkayaker »

Hi all,

I am a 5 foot 2 woman with a 7 year old, and I am about to buy two feel free move kayaks. My main question is about solutions for transporting my kayaks down to Cornwall for our holiday. I don't currently have any roof bars, but I am considering getting some Thule Wingbars plus a Thule folding upright. I am also considering how to get our kayaks on our roof for our holiday, and I have heard that some people just use old carpet or rubber runners on the bonnet and windscreen to slide the kayaks on to the roof.

My main questions are: Are there better alternatives for transporting 2 small sit on tops than the Thule items I have discussed? Also is there a cheaper but just as good alternative? And does anyone else use the slide from from the car bonnet system to get the kayaks on to the roof and would this work with an upright or j bar?

Thank you so much!

Chris Bolton

Re: Transporting 2 small sit on top kayaks

Post by Chris Bolton »

I would probably use carpet on the back of the roof, rather than the windscreen. Thule also make a roller, but it only fits their Pro-bars, not wing bars. The boats look (from the website) as if they are flat bottomed, so the might go on flat. At 5'2" you may have trouble reaching to flip them vertical against the uprights. A lot depends on what kind of car you have, eg, height of roof, fixing points/rails, length of roof, etc - if you can tell us the car it will help us advise.

Cornwallkayaker

Post by Cornwallkayaker »

Thank you Chris. I have a Seat Leon which is 1455mm in height. Not sure what the length of roof is - the spec list doesn't seem to show it on this link https://www.parkers.co.uk/seat/leon/hat ... -5d/specs/
I think I would probably need to use a little step to reach up and also perhaps a friend to help me!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

OK, looking at picture of the Leon with roof bars on, they are not very close to the back, so a roller won't help much. Your kayaks are 75cm wide and the Wing bars are 135cm, so there isn't space to put them on flat. If you bought Pro-bars you could get then upgraded to 150cm long (the fixing slots on the Probars are full length) but that's expensive. So I think uprights and a step to reach them would be the best idea.

Thule square bars are cheaper than Wing bars, and you have a big choice of uprights (eg, these). Most don't fold, but although I have Thule folding ones I never fold them, it's as easy just to remove them. The Thule ones also take up a lot of space on the bars so there's less space to get the boat on flat before you flip it upright.

Halfords own brand square bars are cheaper still, and I'm told they are just the old Thule range (which I used for many years). Thule are worth the extra cost of you use them a lot (I paddle about twice a week), but not for holidays. So I'd go for Halfords square bars, generic uprights from a canoe shop, a folded blanket on the top of the hatchback and a step. Lift one end onto the blanket, go to the other end and slide the boat onto the bars. Stand on the step, thread the strap through the upright, flip the boat upright (bottom to the upright and strap it.

Return to “Products and Media”