Condition of new SOT Kayaks...is this the norm?

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
Maverick777

Condition of new SOT Kayaks...is this the norm?

Post by Maverick777 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi,

I recently looked at a new Wilderness Tarpon 120 in a showroom In Cardiff and was surprised at how badly scratched it was. I remarked as such and was told this was normal, because of the way they were stored in the factory and eventually transported to the the retailers. I appreciate that they will get damaged when used. But still feel it's nice to receive new items, shiny and new. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

neonbowhawk

Re: Condition of new SOT Kayaks...is this the norm?

Post by neonbowhawk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:30 am

Hi,

I dont know much about SOT's but all the ww boats I have bought new have been lovely and shiny with barely a mark so it sounds a bit like BS to me.

Simon

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:42 am

To make matters worse, I placed the order 11 days ago and I gave a deposit and purchased other bits and bobs, in total over £1000.00. I Emailed yesterday, which was never answered and therefore telephoned, only to be told the order had not been made! But the guy would look into it immediately and get back to me.......still waiting.

J B Weld

Post by J B Weld » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 am

I've recently bought a Riber sit on top. Nothing flash, only £300, but it came in a plastic bag, swathed in bubble wrap, and once I'd fought my way through the packaging the plastic was brand new unmarked and virgin, as if it had plopped out the mould that morning.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd be sorely tempted to cancel the order

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 pm

I agree.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 am

neonbowhawk wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:30 am
Hi,

I dont know much about SOT's but all the ww boats I have bought new have been lovely and shiny with barely a mark so it sounds a bit like BS to me.

Simon
Totally agree that this sounds like BS.

I've got a Wilderness Systems Thresher 155 and it was pristine when I collected it from my supplier. Even now after a couple of years, it only has a few light scuffs on the hull.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 am

When I got my kayak (not SOT) it was well wrapped in bubble wrap, had cardboard shaped bits over more exposed parts, all wrapped in polythene, etc. I can't see any logical reason why you can't protect a sOT in the same way.

Most places I've seen new kayaks store them vertically with bow (or stern) on the ground. I can't see why SOTs could not be stored in the same way and thus kept in new condition.

Maybe ... some shops are very strict about taking a boat for a test outing. One store I asked when I was interested in a US boat and there were virtually none in the UK and this store had one they could not sell and I asked about a trial and they said "no" because once it had been in the water it would no longer be a new boat (they kept separate boats for trials but not the boat I was interested in). Other stores allow people to take them for a trial and seem a bit vaguer about new vs demo boats (maybe a bit like a new car does not have 0 on the odometer).

Ian

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 pm

And the retailer was?

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 pm

I’m still dealing with the shop in Cardiff and hopefully the situation will be resolved one way or the other. I can then leave a full review. Cheers

Maverick777

Re: Condition of new SOT Kayaks...is this the norm? Up & Under

Post by Maverick777 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

Hi All,

At long last, I eventually picked up my Kayak from Up & Under. It arrived wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic and was unmarked. As it was being unwrapped some chappie appeared and ordered that my wrapping be saved as he wanted it. I was annoyed that I was not asked. The staff are very knowledgeable but customer care leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm pleased U&U got you sorted in the end.

I think I might have insisted on the bubble wrap and plastic staying with the boat if I needed it.