Advice on a fishing Kayak

dickie

Advice on a fishing Kayak

Post by dickie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi
I’ve been considering buying a second hand sit on for a year or so now and would welcome any advice you may have on make, model, etc. Im look for something that primarily for sea fishing but would have the space to accommodate my three year old for small estuary trips etc when not fishing- ever between my legs or at the front of the kayak. I have plenty of kayaking experience (sea kayaking / and white water) and therefore want something with a bit of pedigree.

What do you guys think of the Feel free Moken, Wilderness Tarpon, perception freedom kayak and Malibu Kayaks? There are cheaper options available like TEKSPORT. Has anyone owned one of these??

Great to see some of the adventures posted up here. Look forward to reading any advice you may have.

Cheers
Dickie

frosty63

Re: Advice on a fishing Kayak

Post by frosty63 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi mate the ocean trident 13 is a good all rounder. but other than having a bit of fun on the beach with the kids i wouldn't trust any one man kayak with a child in it?? and if you got a two man kayak then that would be a bit of a pain when fishing on your own. the 3 main boats i liked was the scupper pro, trident 13,and the ultra 4.3 the scupper pro was fast and fun you can even edge that boat but for me was a bit tipy,the trident was very stable at anchor but a bit slow,and the ultra 4.3 is in between them both so i got the ultra. good luck and demo

Norfolk Paddler

Post by Norfolk Paddler » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi dickie,

Depending upon which type of water and time of year you are going to use it, the OK trident 13 is a great all-rounder. Otherwise the Tarpon 120 is also a superb boat or even the new Perception Triumph 13 is well worth a look. The Freedom is now discontinued.

If you are based over this way at all, I'm selling my 1 year old Trident which you are welcome to look at. Also includes a Simply Magic paddle.

http://www.angliankayakangling.proboard ... hread=2021

All the best

Steve

jazzalbart

Post by jazzalbart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am

Well, if you are looking for a fishing kayak than there are a number of thing you should include like: the type of fishing you intend to do, your budget, portability, your weight and physical conditions.