Anchoring a kayak

snapper

Anchoring a kayak

Post by snapper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:52 pm

After some interesting moments this week I've uploaded footage of me anchoring my Scupper Pro in about a knot of current on a reasonably flat day.

2.5kg anchor, no chain, attached to a dive reel holding 290ft of 2mm line. The anchor is attached at the bottom and then has a weaklink at the top which is a thin cable tie. The buoy should be above this, free running on the warp but I inadvertently attached it below the weaklink so ignore that! I put the warp through a carabiner on my anchor trolley and shuttle it to the back while paying out loads of slack until I decide there is enough out (minimum 3x the depth but more is always good especially in strong tides). The addition of chain also helps though I rarely put any on myself. Anyway, that's how I do it, hope it is of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6he0cKJcI
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

jazzalbart

Re: Anchoring a kayak

Post by jazzalbart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 am

There are a number of choices when it comes to anchoring a kayak, those who are new to kayak and were always curious as to how people anchored their kayaks can learn from this video.

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Mark, It also looks like you forgot to attach the reel to a cam cleat on the boat with a floating leader leaving you drifting, not anchored?
Ewart

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:29 pm

AS Watersports wrote:Hi Mark, It also looks like you forgot to attach the reel to a cam cleat on the boat with a floating leader leaving you drifting, not anchored?
Ewart
Pretty sure he's clipped the anchor warp through the carabiner on the the anchor trolley, trolley'd it to the stern, and when at the desired length he's locked the reel and tossed it overboard. so definitely anchored, not drifting.

This is the same method I use, and it works really well!
I used to use a quick release, but it is a real faff when you deploy the anchor, and when recovering the anchor you can be left side on to waves (which isn't much fun).

Rich

snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 am

Shiner's right - the anchor and buoy are the seaward side of the carabiner, the reel is inside the carabiner so it stops against it.
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102