Fishing on the sea

Rdscott

Fishing on the sea

Post by Rdscott » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Not so much kayak fishing but expedition fishing.

On our last few rips we have taken a line some floats and some hooks and spinners and managed to catch one fish between around 6 trips and 6 people.

We're not Looking at taking loads of kit just some basics to catch some scram for the evenings what should we be taking. or are we doing wrong

jazzalbart

Re: Fishing on the sea

Post by jazzalbart » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 am

I don't understand what are you trying to say? Are you talking about the fishing kit or the experience of your fishing. Will you please clarify the things??

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am

I've always had the most luck just trailing mackerel feathers, nice fish to munch on and if you hit into a school you'll get plenty enough to feed a few people. I tend to view this is a bonus to swap out from whatever supplies we've had rather then relying on a catch though.

I've been lucky a few times to spot a school near the surface just due to a higher incidence of sea birds.

I've also caught from a SoT on the great lakes just using a rod and spinner, but the locals I was with gave me the impression that right time of year / right place made it an easy catch. (EDIT - I'm just trying to say here that although I've given it a go I'm a relative newb at kayaks and rods and reels..)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Skua

Post by Skua » Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 am

For expedition fishing a telescopic spinning rod is very useful - Shimano Exage reduces to 38cm and has a protected tube section to the case for the rod and the reel stays attached in the bag section of the case - you can get a small box of end tackle in there. I have one and it goes with me on my motorcycle - it fits in the top box!

Alternatively, make a wooden frame (like a crab line frame you see on the seaside). Put about 30m of 2mm kite line on it. Tie a crosslock swivel on the end with a Palomar knot (look it up!). To the sqivel attach a set of Sabikis, cut down to make them more manageable. Some come on lines of 10 hooks - far tooo many and you will just get a tangle. Some have 6 hooks. Go for the real fish skin ones, or white, about size 4 - they are more successful than the bigger mackerel feathers.

Cut the string of hooks down to 3 hooks. You can manage the length of the hooks much better on the kayak, especially on a hand line. Simply attach the line of hooks to the clip on your crosslock swivel. This is best done by making a figure 8 loop in the top end of the string of hooks. The other end has the weight attached 4oz will do you nicely. You simply drift and lower the hooks down about 20 feet. In clear water if you watch the hooks go out of sight (put them over on the upwind side of the kayak, so they don't go underneath!) JUST out of sight is a good depth to start with. gentle jigs, not flicks - just raise and lower your hand about a foot. The hooks will be dancing down below - when you get a fish you will know!

Unhooking - the danger of multiple hooks is getting one in your hand as you unhook. Unhook overside, get hold of the fish and line in one hand and unhook the fish - put it in a net bag hung over the side (now you know why open cockpit kayaks are so much better for fishing!) The weight needs to be captive - if you let go or the weight drops the next hook up the line gets rammed into your hand - or a deckline. You MUST keep the weight where it cannot fall. A rod is much easier than a handline and safer when dealing with this kind of fishing, because you can suspend the weight and string of fish. These Sabikis will also catch pollack, coalies (saithe and lithe in Scotland), herrings, mackerel, gurnards, whiting....any number of fish. They are very useful to have.

If spinning you can't beat a 12g Toby, for just about anything. A silver one will do. If trolling it, a 20g one and troll it at least 50 yards astern. Stick the butt of the rod down the front of your PFD, the rod is up in the air, out of your paddling arc, within easy reach and you can both manage the rod and paddle easily - don't forget to set the drag on the reel so a fish can take line when the rod reaches 75 degrees of bend - you do this before you start and then leave the drag alone!

Off the rocks the 12g will cast well from that telescopic rod. Mackerel, bass, pollack, coalies....seatrout, they will all take a silver Toby.