Late summer/early autumn fishing

Stoney Mike

Late summer/early autumn fishing

Post by Stoney Mike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm after some advise on how to be more successful at kayak fishing now the summer is drawing to a close.

I've done a bit of paddling and recently decided I'd like to try the odd bit of fishing while I'm out on my boat, so bought myself a handline. The first time I got two codling and four mackerel, only one of which was big enough to keep, but it made a tasty dinner that night. Great, this seems easy! I went out this afternoon and in three hours got one mackerel, which looked a good size, but got off the hook just before I could get it aboard, and one tiny codling.

I know almost nothing about fishing and have just been dropping the line until it reaches the bottom, then winding it in a few turns and jiggling it about a bit. I've also tried trolling. The line has three feathers and I added a couple of coloured rubber tube lure thingies that came with it (you can tell I don't know much about fishing!) as a friend told me the mackerel season is coming to an end so I thought I'd try catching something else. Can anyone advise what is bet to fish for this time of year and if there are any techniques for catching them other then jiggling the line (i.e. what depth, a sandy bottom, a rocky bottom, any particular state of tide)? Should I switch to using bait rather than a lure?

I live in northeast Scotland if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

Northern Blue

Re: Late summer/early autumn fishing

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello Mike,

I'm a fairly recent starter to the world of kayak fishing and glean quite a bit of info from a north east England based (Admin) kayak fishing forum called "Kayak Fishing UK"

http://kayakfishinguk.co.uk/

which has members all over the UK.

I'm currently 'camper-vanning' up the west coast of Scotland with my fishing kayak on board and just spent a week and a half down on the Mull of Galloway, before moving up to Bunree, just south of Fort William. I've had a few mackerel and loads of smaller pollock and codling, but nothing to write home about.
I bought a new rod & reel at Stranraer, just before heading up here, but I haven't had a chance to try them on Loch Linnhe yet.

I've managed to get a couple of local paddles in, with my mate, but struggled to keep up with his sea kayak. We've got a paddle planned for tomorrow, then he's heading home Friday.

I'm leaving here Sunday with a very loose plan to continue up the west coast, before crossing over the top of Scotland and returning down the east coast, back to the NE, but paddling and/or fishing as much as possible on the way round.

Ken.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:07 pm

I prefer lures and flys myself. Also if you use bait you will almost certainly want to anchor. IMHO the associated risks and boredom outweigh the reward for dragging up some doggies. Source local knowledge and find out whats being caught and whats catching them. Anglers Afloat Forum is a good place (excuse the pun) to start. But mostly just enjoy being on the water and stay safe. It's not all about catching fish.

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out that site. Good luck with the rest of your trip. If you're passing by Aberdeenshire Thursday, Friday or Saturday next week and fancy a paddle give me a shout. My boat is more river tourer than full sea kayak so we should be similar speeds.

Cheers,
Mike

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for the advice T4Mac, and another site to check out.

Totally agree it's more about being on the water, had a great afternoon on Tuesday, but catching something would be a nice bonus!

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Stoney Mike wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 pm
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out that site. Good luck with the rest of your trip. If you're passing by Aberdeenshire Thursday, Friday or Saturday next week and fancy a paddle give me a shout. My boat is more river tourer than full sea kayak so we should be similar speeds.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

I've been without wifi for a little while, so couldn't update you. I'm just south of Aberdeen at Stonehaven for tonight and was toying with staying a few days if the sea was ok, but it's not !!..... So I'm heading a bit further south in the morning.

Ken.

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 am

Northern Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Mike,

I've been without wifi for a little while, so couldn't update you. I'm just south of Aberdeen at Stonehaven for tonight and was toying with staying a few days if the sea was ok, but it's not !!..... So I'm heading a bit further south in the morning.

Ken.
Hi Ken,
Sorry just seen your post. You made the right decision, I was out in Stonehaven bay Thursday evening, not in a kayak I hasten to add! and the sea was pretty big, due to get bigger on Sunday.

Cheers,
Mike

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:06 pm

No probs Mike, some other time perhaps.

I left just after 0900 Thursday and the bay was quite rough conditions, with a stiff onshore wind. It would have been good training conditions, had I still been RNLI crew, but certainly not suitable for my fishing barge,

Ken.