What can I catch in the winter?

GrahamC

What can I catch in the winter?

Post by GrahamC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Firstly, I am a sea kayaker and not a fisherman so this may be a really stupid question. In the summer, I like to catch mackerel by trailing a line from the boat as I paddle. I use a simple hand line with what ever feathers looked attractive to me in the shop. I can then cook up the catch on the beach as the sun goes down - pretty much a perfect end to the day.

Is there anything that I could catch in the winter with simple gear and without having to go "actively" fishing. I generally paddle around North Wales. If so, what is the most useful gear (techniques and names of lures and lines strengths etc required so I know what to ask for!).

Graham

Siggyscott

Re: What can I catch in the winter?

Post by Siggyscott » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:47 pm

a cold.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:39 am

GrahamC wrote:Firstly, I am a sea kayaker and not a fisherman so this may be a really stupid question. In the summer, I like to catch mackerel by trailing a line from the boat as I paddle. I use a simple hand line with what ever feathers looked attractive to me in the shop. I can then cook up the catch on the beach as the sun goes down - pretty much a perfect end to the day.

Is there anything that I could catch in the winter with simple gear and without having to go "actively" fishing. I generally paddle around North Wales. If so, what is the most useful gear (techniques and names of lures and lines strengths etc required so I know what to ask for!).

Graham
Graham, I'm in a similar position, not being a very experienced fisherman and I've recently joined Kayak Fishing UK, which looks to be predominantly SOT kayakers, but some very experienced fishermen amongst them who should be able to answer your question.

Ken.

Bards

Post by Bards » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm no seasoned angler myself, but have found trolling a big Dexter wedge or similar on 12lb line is worth a go; bass always a possibility year-round. I tend to do it when thrashing in a straight line anyway, so my speed is far more than experienced folk recommend, but then I'm out for a paddle and would sooner catch bugger all rather than have it interfere with my trip for the most part.
I've also found that even when trolling with feathers in the summer it's worth tying a fat-arsed Dexter on the end in lieu of a lead weight. The lead will definitely blank, whereas I've had a few bass and gurnard on the Dexter. This is all S Coast, but no reason not to give it a whirl up there...

Bards