outriggers on the sea ????????

carlito

outriggers on the sea ????????

Post by carlito » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a DAG MIdway and its not that stable for fishing from along way out at sea(it does take awhile to master this model im told), just wondered if anyone has put out riggers on and what they thought of them. ive seen a few demos on how to build your own DIY style !!!. Looks interesting and think it would make things more relaxing out there.

Quite afew use them here, just wondered if anyone recommends a design or a place to buy some decent ones that work well.

Still not decided about trying them or not.

Regards Carl Spain

zec01

Re: outriggers on the sea ????????

Post by zec01 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I built some outriggers last year, its made from two F2 boat fenders and domestic waste pipe, here is the link to the post http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =4&t=94091

I built them as my disability means I paddle upside down 90% of the time lol
If it hurts, you are still alive!

Skua

Re: outriggers on the sea ????????

Post by Skua » Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 am

You would be better putting ballast in the bottom of the kayak. I don't know the DAG, but if it is a sit inside, put 2kgs of roof lead under the seat.If it is a sit on top, put a similar kind of weight in the hatch as close to under the seat as you can. Industrial velcro will allow you to put it in and takeit out easily.

Outriggers and fishing - they can get in the way of the line if a big fish runs around the kayak. You can follow it and get it to turn the kayak, but be aware. Tuna - even albacore or bonito swim faster than you can react.