Venture islay 14 SOT ??

P4ddy

Venture islay 14 SOT ??

Post by P4ddy »

Anyone have experience with this SOT version of the Islay 14 tourer? Other than the single post on here there's pretty much zero info of this kayak online.

P4ddy

Re: Venture islay 14 SOT ??

Post by P4ddy »

A couple of 'old colour' perception triumph 13's have popped up for sale 10min away from me all ready to go. However I want and they need a skeg/rudder and that would add another £350 on top given the total then for each kayak it's not worth it and so I'm still better off getting the Islay with its option of skeg/skudder and quality hatch cover. Something I'll have full control over its condition.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I was wanting the Islay with the sail and scudder option, but venture have been struggling with sorting the sail and are looking for a new supplier, nothing is happening quickly it appears so I’m going to have to wait if I want the Islay with sail. Been contemplating getting a temp and fitting my own, but the Islay looks a good yak for coastal use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I seem to be edging more towards either the RTM Tempo or DAG Midway now. As I originally wanted a sea kayak, then realised storage would be an issue 'for now' so was looking at the 14-15ft tourers. I'd forgot I wanted to combine the kayaking with snorkelling so for ease of exit and entry I decided SOT after having dismissed them as beach hire toys.That led me to the triumph and the Islay. However I have just stumbled upon the midway and tempo and they (despite no skeg etc) seem to be what I was after all along. I read reviews from a few people using the tempo as a snorkelling/diving sot which ticks the box, fast, very light, very capable of handling extreme conditions.
Thankfully I'm able to demo.a Midway local to me once restrictions are lifted so I'm getting excited as to what lies ahead. A wet arse and lots of swimming most likely 😄👍.

Oh back onto the weight, lifting 24kg also sounds far more appealing than 30kg.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Having paddled sit inside kayaks for a number of years and having learned to roll I was also reluctant to go for a SOT but I knew that having not practiced rolling on a regular basis and paddling alone I was at less risk with a SOT. I did think about a wide stable surf ski but I think being inherently unstable that’s going in the wrong direction. Some of the composite options are difficult to source in the UK so I keep coming back to RTM. The Scupper Pro, now Tempo seems to be a tried and tested favourite. The midway and Disco seem to be OK for lighter paddlers, I’m 94 covid KGS at present. So I think I will probably end up with a Tempo and thigh straps. I Know RTM also do some others like the Rytmo . I’m in sussex so couple of options. Brighton canoes who are part of the canoe shop chain, but demo isn’t straight forward unfortunately so I will probably buy blind.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I'm at 81kg so I guess I can choose either tempo or Midway. I'll be having a demo paddle at 24/7 watersports in Calshot. Now I need farmer John's and a semi dry CAG.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Have you purchased anything after your demo?

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Didn't get to demo as once restrictions were lifted they sold the demo boat. So just went ahead and ordered 2 Dag Midways. They're exactly what were after, tick every box. Demoing any boat in this situation is near impossible anyway. The Midways are on order and we were suppose to have them now but rtm are unable to supply the demand. Even the palm cags we ordered haven't arrived yet and that was back in march.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I just went for a Tempo back in February , received it from RTM two days ago. RTM in France were not keeping UK office updated with delivery due to covid so it was all unpredictable. The shop had a midway in order which could only be delivered in a different colour. Not got it out on the water yet but very happy so far. Good luck .

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I almost bought a used tempo before I ordered the Midways but opted for the Midways. The midway was only available in white whereas the tempo was orange or anthracite for the angler. The midway though is now also available in anthracite and I had a choice of one of each or both anthracite. I chose anthracite. I know it's not the ideal for visibility but dam they look good in that colour 😎 I can add reflective tape though.
Will you be fishing as well or mostly paddling? We'll be mostly paddling but stopping occasionally to snorkel too. I may though have to take my spinning rod at least once to try for a bass as I've not caught anything on it yet.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Apart from looking to fit a sail, I was looking for something to do a little solo paddling on along the coast. I narrowed my options down to The midway and Tempo as best available SOT sea boats , possibly may do some jigging with feathers but hopefully mainly a bit of distance touring.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Out of interest where are you located?

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I’m south coast nr worthing

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Of course, you'd already said but I forgot 😏, I wouldn't mind a go on a tempo to compare once we've got ours and been out on it a bit.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I have purchased some RTM thigh straps as well as two second hand seats, one is a large yellow back band and the other a seat back and pad in a grey spongy plastic, both made by ocean. I’m not sure they will be necessary as the seat area is quite a smug bowl. The seat may also raise my centre of gravity which may be a problem. I think the midway has a ‘tree’ which you can use to brace your legs against to give a little more connectivity, I like that idea. I found it a fairly good weight to lift onto the car roof rack when purchased, but I will use a folding type trolley which I had for a canoe, the struggle from low tide water to beach and car is something I have given up on with large kayaks and the trolley when wheels are removed will fit in the hatch. I also have a NRS paddle float that I’m going to take with me to try some re entry practice when the weather and inclination improves. Also glad I got this non fishing spec tempo for £685 but seems my version doesn’t come with bungee over the shaped indent bottle holder and I’m nut drilling holes so it’s a little risky with any loved flask. Still fancy fitting a sail but the more I look the more I think this will require drilling holes and I’m a little reluctant to do that to my new boat.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I have the delux seats which I got them chucked in free. I could have had the comfort seats but I was also concerned about the centre of gravity as the difference between the two is about an inch. But lots of people don't bother with a seat and when the wife and I paddled a double that had no seats and we were perfectly comfortable. Yea the Carl system does give a good connection they say and it lets you get it right over on edge.
For a SOT they are both light, and I like the width too, neither are fat barges. I was thinking of getting the Lomo model A as matey with the virgo says it's a decent trolly as should fit the midway well. Drilling holes in a new bolt would feel criminal but it looks like I will have to drill a couple in mine at some point to fit an anchor trolly for snorkelling.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Maiden voyage yesterday on the Tempo. No issues regarding stability, even when caught unawares by the odd wave although conditions settled to be very calm. pretty quick, I’m comparing with my now sold Dagger Charleston. Foot well is just a bit out for length of my legs, the closer brings legs too far up and changes centre of gravity and straight doesn’t allow for much pressure to be applied when paddling, I’m hoping the seat back will push me forward a little. At 26kgs it’s light but unwieldy. Getting on the roof and Taking off was made harder because I added some Thule kayak rests I have had a while. I need not to be too precious about it because it’s new. Worst thing was my trolley cart which is one of those folding aluminium ones that straps on, absolutely useless trying to walk across several hundred yards of low tide boulders. Need to work on that. Altogether generally happy with it though.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Excellent stuff. What about tracking? I'm assuming the midway will track a bit better but the tempo will turn easier as it has a smidge of rocker.

Is the unwieldy because of the handles??

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

The handles on the side are strapping with plastic so they do move. Tracking was excellent, on my old Charleston I found it improved with the skeg down but the tempo presented no problems, it was fairly windless though. I use Thule Aerobars which I have always just put kayaks and canoes upside down on .I was being a bit precious because when I did this with the tempo I noticed the central rubber strip left black marks on the tempo. Guess I had never worried about this with my previous boats as they have been all second hand. It will take a bit to get into that mindset of not caring. I had some Thule Glide and set carrier from years ago which I put on but getting the kayak on and off of these makes it more of a challenge. I usually balance the boat on my head and the push onto the bars. Always a bit unwieldy with longer boats. I need to either go back to the rubber strip or work out a new away to load and unload.

Using Tapatalk

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I will also need to try a bit more edging as yesterday I was being cautious.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Did you use the thigh straps? I ended buying some typhoon roof rack covers. I couldn't bring myself to strap pipe lagging over the bars making my car look scruffy.

I'm just hoping i get to go kayaking as DVLA have revoked my licence. In February I twisted my ankle on my lunch break and passed out and so work wouldn't let me drive a bus and said I had to see my doctor AND notify DVLA. They then revoked it on Monday. I've contested it with medical evidence i'm fit to drive so I'm waiting to see.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I did use the thigh straps but although I had fitted them at home I didn’t get the set up right on the water , managed to get some purchase on them but need also to get them fitting right, but definitely and advantage as I did manage to edge whilst turning. I guess if your a commercial driver you get scrutinised more thoroughly, good luck and hope it works out. Let me know your experience of the midway if you get out. I did recently feel a sense of reluctance returning to a SOT, feeling I should be pushing on with a more dedicated sea kayak it inside but I think I have personally got over that now. Hope everything works out.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Thanks. You can always have both? My intentions are to have both SOT and a a pair or sit insides. I'll see how we feel after a few years of using the Midways. I do intend on keeping the Midways long term. As I'd like to take them round the country going snorkeling. If I progress to being able to paddle it from Lepe to Gurnard on the IOW I'll be well happy. Heck I've seen pics of SOT's around the needle's.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I think the tempo , it’s predecessor scupper pro and midway all have reasonable capabilities as sea boats. Good article and pictures from Jersey sea kayak adventures and also seen pics of them going out with groups of more traditional sea kayaks. I guess they maybe just possibly a little more limited but time will tell.

Using Tapatalk

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Thought I would drop you a note after a bit of learning today. Second trip out and I decided to attach the ocean seat pad with back band. Jumped onto the kayak in knee deep water with a little surf and went straight over tipping me in the water. Apart from the amusement it caused onlookers it confused me. I lifted the seat pad and paddled around 2.5miles hugging the coast a little cautious. Landed and played around with the seat and into the surf and same thing. Paddled 2.5 miles back into headwind with some chop and swell no problem. Scratching my head a bit as to what happened but just passing on I believe the seat really altered the dynamics of the kayak. Possibly moved a bit but I think actually it was a slightly higher centre of gravity and a-bit further forward , quite shocked by the difference it made. Taken that seat off going to try the large yellow ocean back band but will make sure bum is firmly planted in the cut out in future.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Blimey, thanks for that. What thickness is that seat then? You've just confirmed I made the right decision in going for the thinner delux seats purely based on the possible change of centre of gravity. There are a lot of paddlers who go without the seat in both kayaks. I wasn't expecting the difference to be quite as drastic though.

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I think it was that jersey kayaker that said he glued a thin bit of foam onto the seat area of his kayak and mentio ed the centre of gravity. Think it was in a midway though.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

It was the ocean comfort pro, I recon it’s best part of inch / inch half at a guess, but also pushes you forward. It was a completely different experience than my previous paddle. Last paddle I did find without any back support doing a bit of deck chair paddling so hope the back band will work out.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

If it's thin should be ok 🤞

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Just had a call from 24/7 Boardsports, our 2 Midways 'should' arrive mid next week. However without a driving license still I have to rely on my mate driving me in my own car to collect them. Excited but dam annoyed still. They will grace the garage wall on wall racks until the maiden voyage.