Venture islay 14 SOT ??

P4ddy

Venture islay 14 SOT ??

Post by P4ddy »

Anyone have experience with this SOT version of the Islay 14 tourer? Other than the single post on here there's pretty much zero info of this kayak online.

P4ddy

Re: Venture islay 14 SOT ??

Post by P4ddy »

A couple of 'old colour' perception triumph 13's have popped up for sale 10min away from me all ready to go. However I want and they need a skeg/rudder and that would add another £350 on top given the total then for each kayak it's not worth it and so I'm still better off getting the Islay with its option of skeg/skudder and quality hatch cover. Something I'll have full control over its condition.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

I was wanting the Islay with the sail and scudder option, but venture have been struggling with sorting the sail and are looking for a new supplier, nothing is happening quickly it appears so I’m going to have to wait if I want the Islay with sail. Been contemplating getting a temp and fitting my own, but the Islay looks a good yak for coastal use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I seem to be edging more towards either the RTM Tempo or DAG Midway now. As I originally wanted a sea kayak, then realised storage would be an issue 'for now' so was looking at the 14-15ft tourers. I'd forgot I wanted to combine the kayaking with snorkelling so for ease of exit and entry I decided SOT after having dismissed them as beach hire toys.That led me to the triumph and the Islay. However I have just stumbled upon the midway and tempo and they (despite no skeg etc) seem to be what I was after all along. I read reviews from a few people using the tempo as a snorkelling/diving sot which ticks the box, fast, very light, very capable of handling extreme conditions.
Thankfully I'm able to demo.a Midway local to me once restrictions are lifted so I'm getting excited as to what lies ahead. A wet arse and lots of swimming most likely 😄👍.

Oh back onto the weight, lifting 24kg also sounds far more appealing than 30kg.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Having paddled sit inside kayaks for a number of years and having learned to roll I was also reluctant to go for a SOT but I knew that having not practiced rolling on a regular basis and paddling alone I was at less risk with a SOT. I did think about a wide stable surf ski but I think being inherently unstable that’s going in the wrong direction. Some of the composite options are difficult to source in the UK so I keep coming back to RTM. The Scupper Pro, now Tempo seems to be a tried and tested favourite. The midway and Disco seem to be OK for lighter paddlers, I’m 94 covid KGS at present. So I think I will probably end up with a Tempo and thigh straps. I Know RTM also do some others like the Rytmo . I’m in sussex so couple of options. Brighton canoes who are part of the canoe shop chain, but demo isn’t straight forward unfortunately so I will probably buy blind.

Using Tapatalk

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

I'm at 81kg so I guess I can choose either tempo or Midway. I'll be having a demo paddle at 24/7 watersports in Calshot. Now I need farmer John's and a semi dry CAG.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker »

Have you purchased anything after your demo?

Using Tapatalk