Sea fishing kayak advice

roryak

Sea fishing kayak advice

Post by roryak »

Hi, just reposting this here as it was in the wrong forum:

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a sit on top kayak for fishing on freshwater and coastal.

Anyone got any recommendations? I've got about £500-600

My main concern is around kayak length. It seems that 12-13 foot is ideal if you do more paddling over longer distances. Really i want something pretty stable but something which is relatively easy to paddle over the course of a few hours. I wont be going far out to sea though.

I was looking at either:

Perception triumph 13 - this is longer, but the brand is well known and so i'm guessing it's well built. My only concern is that it'll be too long for easy transportation as it'll be longer than my car which is about 12 feet long.

Feelfree Moken 12 Angler - slightly shorter

Feelfree Moken 10 Lite - ideal length for transportation, but is it 'man enough' for the sea? I hear shortrtkayaks actually capsize more.

All advice welcome!

TheEcho

Re: Sea fishing kayak advice

Post by TheEcho »

Having up to 3 foot overhang on the car isn’t a problem. I find weight far more of an issue than size when putting boats on cars, although less of an issue if you are a strong young bloke I guess.

I don’t have experience with sit on tops but for general kayak buying it helps if you can try it first because as well as seat fit which is quite personal, one person’s nice and straight running is another’s impossible to turn and one person’s twitchy is another’s responsive.

roryak

Re: Sea fishing kayak advice

Post by roryak »

Too late I'm afraid 😆