Venture Islay 14 SOT vs Triumph 13

foxtrot

Venture Islay 14 SOT vs Triumph 13

Post by foxtrot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

I am thinking about one of the above for short coastal trips and some fishing, the Islay with the built in skeg is my theoretical preferred option. Currently neither are available to demo but I will have a paddle in both before making a decision. Are there any owners out there who would like to comment on their experience with either of these two?

T4Mac

Re: Venture Islay 14 SOT vs Triumph 13

Post by T4Mac » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 am

You will get more feedback on the anglersafloat forum than on here reference those to yaks.

However...... I sea fished and paddled a Triumph 13 for 3 years. Very well constructed kayak which I could fly fish from (sitting). Not everyone got on with the tracking although I found it was ok unless I was going for it and it would spin out to no particular direction. A rudder might sort this out but of course more cost and something else for your fishing line and drogue to get cuaght on. I've never tried edging one as I never new how to at the time, and not sure that you could.

Here she is...

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

Got your message. Couldn't see the post on anglers. Good luck with the test drive in the Islay. Wouldn't mind a go myself if you get one and are around Kent.

Firemore001

Post by Firemore001 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi there, I've just recently purchased an Islay 14 sot for similar activities after a 30 plus year sabbatical from serious kayaking.
I originally opted for the Skeg version, but got a reasonable deal on a skudder equipped kayak which actually does make a difference when traversing bays with a beam on breeze. Basic fit-out is good for coastal paddling, but not great for fishing I.e. No rod holders etc. On smooth water the scuppers and central keel mouldings are noisy, you can hear the water slap! Stick some high density packing foam in the slits and scuppers and the noise disappears; does seem slightly faster also. The standard seat is pretty comfortable, and the forward deck hatch has proven watertight. The kayak performs well on smooth/ light breezes, and is more than capable of handling choppy seas around the coastline; just be careful on large swells as they don't perform pop-outs very well! Generally a good boat, bit heavy at around 30kg so need a trolley (try the lomo c version); certainly not a knordkapp or baidarka however when would you haul one of these over the rocks?
If you're ever around Fort William, Highlands you could give it a try!
Best regards