P&H Virgo lost on Loch Shiel

Gear gone astray ...
layneoftheloch

P&H Virgo lost on Loch Shiel

Post by layneoftheloch »

Hi everyone,

I carelessly left my turquoise P&H Virgo on the shore of Loch Shiel and too close to the water a few weeks ago. After a week of heavy rain and storms I returned to the spot to go for a paddle to discover that my kayak had been washed away by the rising water. My boat had been left on the shore in a bay just to the South of where the river that passes through Polloch enters the Loch, a spot where many people camp on trips down the Loch.

I've had a search around the lower part of the Loch from a mile or so above Polloch to Acharacle, and an incredibly kind kayaker from out of the area came up and did a search from Polloch up to Glenfinnan and back. It hasn't been found so far. So I'm wondering if anyone here has seen or heard of it being found anywhere?

On the advice of my local kayaking instructor Karl from Otter Adventures, I notified the coastguard. I've just seen the 101 number for the police in a post here so I'll give them a call this morning as well.

On another note, I had a brand new Palm Kaikoura in blue and a drybag stolen from my boat in the same spot during the summer. Since this is a remote location accessible only by boat I felt that was a particularly poor act by someone and was very surprised and disappointed. I live on a remote piece of land on that side of the loch. So any information about that too would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Layne

Chris Bolton

Re: P&H Virgo lost on Loch Shiel

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm sorry to hear of both those losses. Maybe the police will have some information; if it's already been found, or even if somebody thought it was lost where you left it.

The theft from the boat is very disappointing, nobody could have mistaken gear inside a boat for being lost. There are a few people who have taken up new sports during the pandemic (and before) who don't seem to have the same ethos as most. It would be the same type of person as stole the bell from Eilean Fhianain; I just don't understand how anyone can do something like that.

ChrisJK

Re: P&H Virgo lost on Loch Shiel

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi Layne
Your name was familiar so I checked back to the thread regarding advice and Greenland paddles. By the look of it you've only owned the Virgo for a year. I hope you locate it but was it insured?

Return to “Lost and Found”